Limit/Tweak Droid X Contact Syncing

dizzygoldfish#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to Android in general - I've been a BB addict for many years. If this is a dumb question please go easy! I poked around for an answer but the solutions I've found don't seem to work on the X.

My phone currently syncs with Google, Exchange, and Facebook for contacts. I'm perfectly happy with that. However, it seems to be pulling a list of all email addresses I've ever used - not necessarily from my actual saved contacts. For example, one of the first entries is to a law firm my company did business with several years ago who I've emailed once.

There are tons of these. How do I get these to stop syncing? It seems to be from all of my accounts. Is there somewhere I can go to tweak what stuff gets sync'd?

This seems like a really easy thing to fix but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Help!

Dizzy

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read in the forums previously, this is connected with Facebook. Someone will post specifically how to stop this - has to do with unchecking contact sync on Facebook.

There have been others who discover an avalanche of (unwanted) contacts, thanks to Facebook.

dizzygoldfish#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
OK. Hopefully someone will. I'll search for it now. Went into the app settings on facebook for Droid and it won't let me stop the contact sync there. Also nothing in the FB app or Contacts app.

Most of the unwanted contacts are just email addresses that have nothing to do with facebook. for example, the first bunch of entries are random email addresses for folks I've emailed before i.e. 'user@email.com'. It's like it's pulling from Outlooks .nk2/autocomplete file...

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you want to change what syncs from Facebook and other accounts, go to Settings > Accounts & Sync

There will be listed all of your accounts. You can tap on each one and change which account will sync what (Contacts, Birthday, etc).

Reactions: dizzygoldfish#AC

dizzygoldfish#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Figured it out?

I may have figured this out. Looks like the problem is in Outlook 2010. Outlook has a contact list called "suggested contacts". I noticed that this list has all of the contacts that are bugging me. I guess it's a new feature?

Anyways, I set the "Suggested Contacts" address book to not appear as an address book in Outlook. I'm hoping that helps.

Any way to delete and rebuild my contacts for Exchange in the phone? I suppose I'll just delete the account all together and just re-add?

dizzygoldfish#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Solved?

I think I've got this solved. I deleted my suggested contacts and told Outlook to stop using them. According to the article here from Motorola, you have to do this to stop the suggested contacts from syncing.

This is so stupid! It appears that now my multi-year list of auto-complete addresses is now gone so it won't sync to my phone. Worth it I guess to make my cell contact list manageable but it's going to suck in Outlook. There were a bunch of people who I ONLY had their addresses in the autocomplete.

Oh well. If you are having this issue the page above is the only "fix" it appears for now.

If I'm wrong PLEASE let me know - I'd love to hear it.

Dizzy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital