Average Avaialble Memory

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I check my memory via Advanced Task Killer its around 50mb give or take a few.

On my inc it never got that low. Is that normal?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I check my memory via Advanced Task Killer its around 50mb give or take a few.

On my inc it never got that low. Is that normal?

Well i dont remember what it was on my DX because i never checked because unless you see major lagging it doesnt really matter. One obvious reason would be the prescence of Advanced Task Killer on your device. For 1. its not needed. 2. it in and of itself is using resources you need. there are many threads on task killers explaining why they are not needed and why the monitoring of availble memory is not needed either. Im leaving work now but if you want i will link you up to some threads later explaining more in detail, if you are not able to find them on your own.

Are you having apps freeze up and excessive force closes? if this is the case perhaps the applications the you are running need to be investigated and perhaps we can help you pin point the problem

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
i am going to try and reboot and not kill any tasks at all and see if it helps. i had killed all running tasks and then after a few minutes it was lagging and i checked the memory

so we'll see if maybe its all the apps restarting

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Well i dont remember what it was on my DX because i never checked because unless you see major lagging it doesnt really matter. One obvious reason would be the prescence of Advanced Task Killer on your device. For 1. its not needed. 2. it in and of itself is using resources you need. there are many threads on task killers explaining why they are not needed and why the monitoring of availble memory is not needed either. Im leaving work now but if you want i will link you up to some threads later explaining more in detail, if you are not able to find them on your own.

Are you having apps freeze up and excessive force closes? if this is the case perhaps the applications the you are running need to be investigated and perhaps we can help you pin point the problem

Isn't it also written that if you use a Task Killer correctly it will work to your advantage? I ask because I used one on all my devices without any adverse effects. I used it more to preserve battery than anything else. I no longer us one on the X since, I have zero battery issues.

Without sparking an age old debate let me ask this, is there any benefits to using ATK and why do you think VZ recommends using it on our devices?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
cuz VZ customer service reps don't know anything about anything. they'll tell you anything to make you leave. they'll tell you you're getting gingerbread tomorrow if you'll go away

Jaredd130

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I quit using ATK after I realized it was causing more problems than it was preventing them. The Android OS doesnt rely on memory or RAM for its apps. It relies on CPU and constanly killing apps or having ATK kill apps to free up memory detroys your CPU usage and in turn, boggs down your phone. Read this article, it really opened my eyes and helped me understand Android and how it works.

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

ntowell

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Stop looking at your memory. The phone knows how to handle it better than you do. This is not windows folks, so quit acting like it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
is there any benefits to using ATK and why do you think VZ recommends using it on our devices?

If your rep is recommending it , please add their statement to the thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...ell-phone-sales-reps-say-darndest-things.html lol
There are no real benefits to using a task killer. the only time you may need it is if a task locks up. But their are native actions you can take to shut down an app, such as going to settings>applications>manage applications, find the app and shut it down.... Is that alot of steps to shut down an app,,,yes but you shouldnt have to do it often and with a couple of clicks you will save yourself some unneeded grief

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
If your rep is recommending it , please add their statement to the thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...ell-phone-sales-reps-say-darndest-things.html lol
There are no real benefits to using a task killer. the only time you may need it is if a task locks up. But their are native actions you can take to shut down an app, such as going to settings>applications>manage applications, find the app and shut it down.... Is that alot of steps to shut down an app,,,yes but you shouldnt have to do it often and with a couple of clicks you will save yourself some unneeded grief

Makes sense....thanks