Droid X some recored video WONT play back: ERROR File cannot be displayed or played

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I can access the 'removable disk' in my computer but only can find music and 1 picture and 5 videos and they all disply a none working icon.

i can wait till i get home to try and access them that way

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Only issue I have right now is I am at work for another 2 hours and work pc needs admin privlages to access and download anything, moto etc

perhaps the drivers are already installed, try this connect the usb cable, then slide down the notification bar down click the usb notification and choose to mount the sd card..... then go to "computer" on your desk top and see if you see the SD card as a drive

Reactions: vandozer98

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
there are 2 usb in notification bar, debugging connected or usb connection. no way to mount card while usb cable plugged in

Last edited:

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
mass storage is what i had it on and it would show files but not what we're looking for....recorded videos and ALL pictures can't find them and they are not on phone storage either. wtf gives? I hope it is differnt when I get home

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
mass storage is what i had it on and it would show files but not what we're looking for....recorded videos and ALL pictures can't find them and they are not on phone either. wtf gives? I hope it is differnt when I get home

Look in the DCMI folder there should be, camera, video , pictures, something like that

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
A piece of paper with top right side corner folded and a desktop kind of looking picture with 6 icons on it, file type 3GP File. this pc is running xp mine runs win7

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yes all up to date

i running out of ideas . to play 3gp files you can use RealPlayer.
or i found this article
How to Play 3GP 3G2 Files in Windows Media Player

but you may have to try this from home..

if you want to try reboot a a couple more times its worth a try...
If you want to do a factory reboot that is also an option.

Im sorry if i am loosing my usefulness here . sometimes its just the phone thats the problem and from the things i have been reading the phone and its software could be the problem.

Edit:
vandozer98, Im sorry but im drifting off to sleep its 7am and im out of suggestions tonight.
I apologize we couldnt resolve your problem.

Maybe ill try again tommorow/later

Last edited:

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I bailed for a bit. I did test a video on mine recorded on 720p and it played fine. At this point, it really sounds like the file was corrupted either in the recording or in the storage. There have been a few bad sd cards out there so that might be the issue. I would try recording a short video after a fresh reboot, if that doesn't work I would try a different sd card if you have one.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me quite a few times, and it seems to be because I was getting text message pop ups from handcent or hitting the home button while recording to get back to the home screen. In other words, not allowing the phone to properly go through the procedure that it need to save the file. When I record video now, I make a point to let the phone work its magic when I stop recording.
Everything that I have tried to do to recover video files that don't play has not worked.
My advice is to make sure that the phone is through saving the file after it records video before attempting to get it to do anything else.
Hopefully someone smarter than me will figure something out.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me quite a few times, and it seems to be because I was getting text message pop ups from handcent or hitting the home button while recording to get back to the home screen. In other words, not allowing the phone to properly go through the procedure that it need to save the file. When I record video now, I make a point to let the phone work its magic when I stop recording.
Everything that I have tried to do to recover video files that don't play has not worked.
My advice is to make sure that the phone is through saving the file after it records video before attempting to get it to do anything else.
Hopefully someone smarter than me will figure something out.

Great idea! Thanks for chipping in on this one. I tested both on my DX and the file worked fine on the stock player, but that also might have something to do with my ROM as well.

If the files can't be played on a PC I'm really starting to think that it might be an issue with the SD card or the phone its self. It's prob factory reset time. And if that doesn't work, then I would take it in to Verizon. I know one of my friends had an issue with his SD card and they sent him a new one and he hasn't had any issues since. Sorry we couldn't help more.

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it is a combination of sd card and user error. I do recall pushing home button shortly after recording a video or 2. And not being able to open files on win7 has me thinking I never will. I would like to thank all of you who have helped me out. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.