Droid X some recored video WONT play back: ERROR File cannot be displayed or played

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So after a few family Christmas partys are done and wife and I check the videos of our 2 year old going crazy enjoying his Christmas gifts, I find a grey icon instead of a preview of video and then try to play them back and they wont work!!! Getting message ERROR File cannot be displayed or played. WTF!!! PLEASE HELP me fix this!!!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So after a few family Christmas partys are done and wife and I check the videos of our 2 year old going crazy enjoying his Christmas gifts, I find a grey icon instead of a preview of video and then try to play them back and they wont work!!! Getting message ERROR File cannot be displayed or played. WTF!!! PLEASE HELP me fix this!!!!

what video player are you trying to use?

Also have you tried the following?
Rebooted the phone?
Remove and reinsert the SD card from the phone?
Tried to transfer the videos from the phone to PC?

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I use rock player for anything the stock player won't play. Might be something else to try.

Smitty is correct, try using a 3rd party player, such as rock. In order for the phone to allow you to use a different player you need to clear the native player from default permission. in order to do this .. do the following

Settings>applications>manage applications select the video player within this screen select clear defaults.

then go back to the video in the gallery , try to open it and it will give you the option of the players you can use

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I am using the stock video player...is that bad?
Am downloading rock player now to see if that helps....nope get message Cant open content ://media/external/video/media/39 to play
I have shut phone down and started back up and nothing changed.
I did unmount the sd card...but did not manualy remove it...will try that now.
i dont want to do a factory reset and lose all of apps and stuff, but will do if have to.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I am using the stock video player...is that bad?
Am downloading rock player now to see if that helps....nope get message Cant open content ://media/external/video/media/39 to play
I have shut phone down and started back up and nothing changed.
I did unmount the sd card...but did not manualy remove it...will try that now.
i dont want to do a factory reset and lose all of apps and stuff, but will do if have to.

well lets leave that as last resort

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
No luck there either Droidxcon but thanks. I am still trying to figure out the basic stuff X can do! Thanks to u guys I think I will learn a lot

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not bad to use the stock player. Some of the aftermarket player support more codex than the stock. I use both depending on the type of video file.

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
On a side note I have not rooted x yet but have z4root app installed. Have been to affraid it or i would mess up phone and now look where i am!! lmao Not really even all that sure what I would gain by rooting

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No luck there either Droidxcon but thanks. I am still trying to figure out the basic stuff X can do! Thanks to u guys I think I will learn a lot

i would try to use a couple more video players before you try to do a factory restore...

and before you do a factory restore, you should do a VZW backup assistant

Settings>accounts and sync>backup assistant

this will back up all your contacts

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok will look for other player first then backup contacts with vzw. I do have all contacts on gmail though...Should I still bother?

Last edited:

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I would try playing the file on a pc before doing anything like a factory reset on your dx. If you recorded it with the stock video recorder, it should play fine in widows media player.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I would try playing the file on a pc before doing anything like a factory reset on your dx. If you recorded it with the stock video recorder, it should play fine in widows media player.

Yeah this would eliminate the idea the file is corrupted, do you know how move files from your phone to the computer, we can walk you through that aswell

vandozer98

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I may not be doing it the "right" way but I was able to get some movies and music on phone from pc. If you guys dont mind showing me whats up and do things correctly I would be greatful

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You no longer use X? Any reason why?

I bought the Samsung Fascinate because of the SAMOLED screen since i develop the chemicals inside the screen, i was going to use it only to show people the screen, but after using it i found it to be alot smoother and more fluid. also after looking at the screen i could not look at the DX screen anymore because it looked washed out. And although the DX was powerful i just found the fascinate easier to use. So after using them both for two months i sold my DX..

ok i will do a walk through, i will edit this post in a couple mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang