easiest way to root the x

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,
what is the easiest way to root the x?
my cousin happened to come over christmas eve and his was flying while mine was sluggish and he said motoblur while looks like slows performance..

is there an easy way to root this?

thank you

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
At the top of the previous page is a subforum for everything root. http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-roms-hacks/

Google z4root. Its a free one-click rooting solution. You also must have Koush DroidX Recovery Bootstrap. Its in the market. Then you need to find a Rom and install it with the Recovery.

Heres a tutorial on using z4root; http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/z4root-will-root-the-droid-x-2-3-340-update/

Koush Bootstrap; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uPXPcTXULFPKjlEKg&sig2=cCt-K5KGggtXyKlXSq87sA

Here are some ROMS;

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/1...eased-for-droid-x-with-theme-changer-toolbox/

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/10/droid-x-rom-apex-1-3-0-with-gingerbread-theme-by-fabolous/

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/11/30/jrummy-returns-with-droid-x-rom-rumm-rx-v1-0/

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/20/droid-x-theme-tron-for-rubix-focused-1-9-0/

Make sure he is on the most current VZW software. Go to about screen and verify under System version; Version.2.3.340.MB810.

Once thats done, open z4root, click the permanent root. It will take a long time, sometimes it takes two times doing this, or may not "Stick" the first time. Once it is rooted you should have a superuser and a terminal emulator app in the app drawer. Then go to the DroidX Recovery Bootstrap. Click on the "Bootstrap Recovery" and reboot phone from the app. After turning off it will boot into the Recovery screen which allows you to load .zip onto the phone, backup/restore, and many other advanced settings. This is where you navigate to the ROM that you want using the VOLUME key for up/down and the CAMERA button for your selections.

Before you make ANY changes ensure you make a backup first, then wipe date/cache prior to installing your ROM. Then install ROM, all done from the Recovery screen.

Last edited:

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks for that info..
seems I get to the screen where it asks me for the .rom file and I cant seem to find it anywhere..

I downloaded the rom but cant seem to find tranqulity.zip..anywhere..any ideas?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks for that info..
seems I get to the screen where it asks me for the .rom file and I cant seem to find it anywhere..

I downloaded the rom but cant seem to find tranqulity.zip..anywhere..any ideas?

You need to make sure the .zip is on the root of the SD card. Then scroll down till you find it.

Edit: Newage, thanks for the great reply! You pretty much got this one covered.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,
I got my phone rooted with tranquiolity..the only problme is that when I boot into the system, the unlock screen option isnt there so I cant use the phone? whats up with that?

there is nothing to unlock the screen with..

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,
I got my phone rooted with tranquiolity..the only problme is that when I boot into the system, the unlock screen option isnt there so I cant use the phone? whats up with that?

Pretend like its invisible? Scroll from left to right where the lock should be

LVracerGT

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

It's doing the same thing for me.

Update: Powered the phone down the right way. Powered back on and now I'm stuck at the bootscreen. Wtf. Followed directions to the tee.

Update 2: Did a battery pull, powered the phone back up and it booted fine, but the lock screen slider is invisible and you have to fish for it to unlock the phone. Is there a way to fix this?

Update 3: Tranquility keeps rebooting every couple mins by itself. REALLY ANNOYING! I followed the directions exactly so wtf is going on? Aslo, when I try to go into clockwork in the reboot options it gets stuck at the bootscreen. Awesome work... not. So how am I supposed to go back now without doing an SBF flash and having to update to 2.3.340 again?

Update 4: Had to go into normal recovery, wipe data, which erased all the cool stuff that went with tranquility, and then flash koush bootstrap AGAIN and then go into clockwork recover and restore the backup I made. Read through some of the comments on the Tranquility site at droidlife and a lot of people are experiencing the same problems. STAY AWAY from this rom until it gets updated and fixed. Going with Apex until then.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
No probe here. The lockscreen is invisible at lower half of screen. I have no lock with no lock screen anyways so I never noticed it. Sounds like you got back to normal though. Sorry Tranquil didn't work for you, but you will find a Rom.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I went the same route, though I chose the Blurred version. I installed just the DarkSlide ROM. It didn't have the tooldbox I don't think. Then I found the Tranq ROM with the toolbox which allowed me to switch to DarkSlide. Not sure if DarkSlide was ported, or if its the same ROM and DS is just a theme?

This may be why I am not seeing any problems. I had Apex and Fission prior (which gave me problems after 48hrs). I have an invisible lock screen to, meaning there are no locks on the bottom. There is an option in the toolbox to switch lockscreens back. Not sure if that is part of the theme or not. If there is an option to change it though I would imagine it is.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
hi guys,

Did you get this figured out? Its lower on the screen than the normal lock and invisible.

You may want to check the link above for Darkslide, or one of the other ROMs. At least you got rooted! How hard was it?

BBCrackman

Mar 27, 2010
www.mydroidworld.com
I went the same route, though I chose the Blurred version. I installed just the DarkSlide ROM. It didn't have the tooldbox I don't think. Then I found the Tranq ROM with the toolbox which allowed me to switch to DarkSlide. Not sure if DarkSlide was ported, or if its the same ROM and DS is just a theme?

This may be why I am not seeing any problems. I had Apex and Fission prior (which gave me problems after 48hrs). I have an invisible lock screen to, meaning there are no locks on the bottom. There is an option in the toolbox to switch lockscreens back. Not sure if that is part of the theme or not. If there is an option to change it though I would imagine it is.

No, its not just a theme it is a themed ROM. Yes it was ported to Tranquility's toolbox

BBCrackman

Mar 27, 2010
www.mydroidworld.com
hi guys,

Its a transparent lock screen. The sliders are at the bottom of the screen you just cant see them.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
As much as I'd like to do this, just to do away with the ads, the surplus programs, and to use Droid VNC Server, it seems like its more trouble than its worth. Am I wrong?