Is the Droid X actually a phone by any chance?

TheAdmira1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
before I say anything, I have had 4 blackberrys, then the incredible, now the droid x... I am a Linux user in visual effects, and I think I would consider myself a superuser? so the main reason I have my droid is the ability to do damn near anything and everything my laptop can do... But much like my laptop, it reeaaalllyyy sucks at being an actual PHONE... so i guess my question is, am I doing everything wrong and havent set my phone up correctly? or does it really just suck this bad at everything but computer functions? Its email support sucks hoooorrendously... I never thought my Google phone would do Yahoo mail better than Gmail? I mean I know its a constant complaint but really?! I can download torrents, unrar them, then watch the movie all without ever plugging it into a single comp... but i cant get my email facebook or other notifications without going into the app and syncing them?! cant plug my Beats by Dre into them for anything other than media? these have worked literally on everything else i have tried them on... BB, Incredible, iPhone, eeeeverything!! they work, thats it no questions asked... buuutttt plug them into my X and try to make a call... thing goes crazy, goes speaker, then mutes, then speaker, then hangs up?!

I know this was a stupid rant but I looove the functions of this "phone", i love being able to hack my way through anything on it... but when it comes to getting in touch w people, sometimes its painstaking... so im honestly thinking of getting a galaxy tab for the comp stuff and go back to my BB for phone... but before I do I was kind of hoping someone had a solution to the push problem and the headphones? everything else i can deal w... but those 2 drive me nuuutttssssssssss

thanks in advance!!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you are having so much frustration with your DX. I don't have a wired headset so I can't help you on that one. As far as the Gmail issue, my gmail works great. Are you using the gmail app? First off, check your account settings to make sure it is set to sync. From your homescreen hit settings>accounts, select you google account and make sure "Sync Gmail" is selected. I have 4 google accounts on mine and the push works almost instant.

karmiccalamity

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Headphones- is there a volume or any other function buttons on the headphones i have used lots of headphones and even plugged the x into the car stereo for hands free no problem

Gmail- works great, pushes instant no problems. if your having issues it could be a battery setting or just a sync setting

Phone- I make phone calls all day for work on the go and when im off work and it works wonderfully you should go into detail more about this instead of just saying it sucks

Reactions: Smitty_82

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Works fine for me. Best reception and clarity on a Verizon phone I ever had. My BBs always sounded muffled to other people when on a call. Gmail push...no problem. Any other email accounts check out K9mail....It pushes just as fast as my Berry's.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Gmail- works great, pushes instant no problems. if your having issues it could be a battery setting or just a sync setting

Thanks! I forgot about the battery settings. If you go into settings>battery manager>battery mode, you can adjust your settings for battery saver. It adjust when your phone syncs data to save on the battery life. I think by default, it is set to nighttime mode which will turn off you 3G data when your phone is idle during certain times at night. I leave mine set to perfomance mode and turn off my 3G with a widget toggle when I don't want it on. Might be something else you can look at.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Works as a phone for me too. Great radio that Moto builds. They do it for the police, NFL, Fire, on and on. Interesting thread title, lol. Never heard that one nanite!

I used BB for years as well. I would say both work as a phone, but the sound quality of the X is quite nice : )

TheAdmira1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!! thanks guys this is exactly what i needed... I really do love my X its just the little things that were bothering me... Im going to try the sync setup now, hopefully thatll do it... as for the quality, your 100% right the sound quality in call is impeccable, and allll of my BB's sounded like i was underwater... but the wired headset thing is bewildering to me. they were reeeeeetarded expensive for earbuds, but in the past Ive always considered them worth it because of how orgasmic the sound was, plus thy worked as a mic for my phone... but with the X... not so much

also do any of you use a notification customization app??? for th LED that is? do you know of one that works... ive been looking into Blink, and the different gmail notifiers, but i have email 6 accounts, 3 gmail, 2 yahoo, and a my corporate acct for work. needless to say id love to be able to simply look at my phones LED to know if its important or not... there have been waayyy too many times ive jumped outa bed w my gf to find out its some stupid spam from yahoo and not an urgent "get your ass here!!" from work you know? but an overall app that changes my leds for text, email, fb, and calls id be in heaven haha

Thanks again guys!!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I use GMail notifier for BLUE. Yahoo is Magenta native. I let phone calls and texts stay green. I think Handcent allows for some nice LED customization.

TheAdmira1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
your yahoo is magenta?! definitely dont have that? everything just blinks green? and I looked at my settings... sadly theyre all correct:( set to push, sync is on, and my data settings are at performance aaand it still hates me haha are thre any settings im missing in my actual gmail acct? I havent had any issues with my other phones so im assuming no... but worth a shot right?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
your yahoo is magenta?! definitely dont have that? everything just blinks green? and I looked at my settings... sadly theyre all correct:( set to push, sync is on, and my data settings are at performance aaand it still hates me haha are thre any settings im missing in my actual gmail acct? I havent had any issues with my other phones so im assuming no... but worth a shot right?
Gmail notifier (in the market only) will give you a ton of options for Gmail LED colors. Once you go into the market and use the "true push" yahoo mail app, you will get magenta notifications

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I did have to turn on the mobile push for two of my accounts, but they were google apps accounts for my own domains. Not sure about standard gmail, lol. I set both of those accounts up through my DX so it might have done it for me. Prob would be worth checking cause my apps emails didn't push till it turned it on through the settings there.

jeffe65

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!! thanks guys this is exactly what i needed... I really do love my X its just the little things that were bothering me... Im going to try the sync setup now, hopefully thatll do it... as for the quality, your 100% right the sound quality in call is impeccable, and allll of my BB's sounded like i was underwater... but the wired headset thing is bewildering to me. they were reeeeeetarded expensive for earbuds, but in the past Ive always considered them worth it because of how orgasmic the sound was, plus thy worked as a mic for my phone... but with the X... not so much

also do any of you use a notification customization app??? for th LED that is? do you know of one that works... ive been looking into Blink, and the different gmail notifiers, but i have email 6 accounts, 3 gmail, 2 yahoo, and a my corporate acct for work. needless to say id love to be able to simply look at my phones LED to know if its important or not... there have been waayyy too many times ive jumped outa bed w my gf to find out its some stupid spam from yahoo and not an urgent "get your ass here!!" from work you know? but an overall app that changes my leds for text, email, fb, and calls id be in heaven haha

Thanks again guys!!

Look for an app in the Market called "Missed Call" It allows you to change LED colors for who calls, types of notifications, etc.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
im in the same boat as the OP. I just factory reset AGAIN the other day, my phone if it goes for more than 2 days at a time not rebooting, then email doesnt come in, and stuff i send sits in the outbox. I reboot the phone, and automatically push ding ding ding ding 20 emails from the past 2 days come in. very frustrating. This phone actually does suck as a phone. Sometimes when you answer it, you cant hear anything or they cant hear you until a reboot. Serious bug to me. Rebooting fixes it though but when you wait for an important business phone call all day, when it finally comes, you/they cant hear. Awesome for lost revenue.

I also noticed that my phone doesnt like to receive text messages for 2-3-4 hours sometimes. It's almost like the battery manager settings are all messed up. I've been saying this for months. I have mine set to performance, never to turn off at night, and never to turn off while plugged into a charger. I noticed that my gmail account on the web does not show any activity between the hours I am asleep. It is definitely set to performance, but the phone doesnt act like it.

If i set my phone on a table or something in my house after i send a text... i leave it and 2 hours later ill go back to it. touch the phone. "wake it up" per say, and messages magically show up. There is something sketchy with these settings.

i am not rooted, i have factory reset multiple times, and multiple times its the same issues. NOT ROOTED. OP i'm in the same boat as you

TheAdmira1

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Found what was killing my sync fwiw... on the power control widget, there is a sync button, and that will override the sync settings apparently... turned it on there and so far so good... thanks again guys

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084