New to Android, picked up a Droid X last night

boweveljoe

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
1. What is this rooting thing? And does this phone do it?

2. What are some must have apps/handy to have for a newbie

3.I got task killer, and I kill everything, yet other programs start up all of the sudden. What is the deal here? Is there any way I can get things to shut off for good? I go from having 180 megs to like 56. Bloatware be gone!

4.What are some great sources for high resolution wallpapers? Also what is the screen resolution on the Droid X?

5. Can you download different themes that change the layout any at all like a blackberry? Just curious.

6.Any particular date to expect gingerbread on, or is it still pretty much all up in the air?

Thats all I can think of for now. I just want this machine to run a lot leaner. I got Angry Birds and noticed lag while playing. What do I need to do to make this mean green machine run a lot faster/smoother?

Thanks in advance! :)

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! Congrats on your new DX! There are extensive threads in the forums that cover all your questions. I should be asleep right now so I'll let my fellow forum members help you out with some links if needed.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome : ) like the above post, punch in what your searching for, and you should find some good info. See you around the forums!

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
1. What is this rooting thing? And does this phone do it?

2. What are some must have apps/handy to have for a newbie

3.I got task killer, and I kill everything, yet other programs start up all of the sudden. What is the deal here? Is there any way I can get things to shut off for good? I go from having 180 megs to like 56. Bloatware be gone!

4.What are some great sources for high resolution wallpapers? Also what is the screen resolution on the Droid X?

5. Can you download different themes that change the layout any at all like a blackberry? Just curious.

6.Any particular date to expect gingerbread on, or is it still pretty much all up in the air?

Thats all I can think of for now. I just want this machine to run a lot leaner. I got Angry Birds and noticed lag while playing. What do I need to do to make this mean green machine run a lot faster/smoother?

Thanks in advance! :)

1. Don't worry about it.

2. Launcher Pro Plus.

3. Uninstall your task killer. It will only make the phone buggy and laggy. Android doesn't need task killers. Froyo is even better at memory management than previous versions.

4. There are threads here and elsewhere with plenty of wallpapers. The resolution is 854 x 480 but the wallpapers should be 854 x 960 due to the multiple homescreens.

5. Only on the Droid Pro and Droid 2 so far.

6. Way too early to worry about that. I wouldn't expect to see it before July because Moto is slow to rollout software updates.

Reactions: boweveljoe