Can you set up the Facebook app so that it doesn't sync contacts?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to have the facebook app NOT sync contacts to the phone? This is for my sons X that I got him for Christmas. After he set up his facebook app, it populated his phone contacts with all his facebook people. I wiped the phone and started over, but don't want it to happen again.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a suggestion - Try only to sign in using the Facebook app only, and don't sync anything that involves your FB application. Either that or delete each contacts individually.

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you add Facebook as an "account?" Can you turn off contacts sync like you can with other account types?

I don't have facebook on my phone so I don't know how this works with the DX.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to have the facebook app NOT sync contacts to the phone? This is for my sons X that I got him for Christmas. After he set up his facebook app, it populated his phone contacts with all his facebook people. I wiped the phone and started over, but don't want it to happen again.

use the facebook app from the market, and not the build in blur social media app. Unfortunately you cant stop it from syncing completely

Reactions: Samisgr8

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Root, and replace your ROM with APEX, GUMMY, or RUBIX.

Get all the moto crap off your phone and it'll actually do what you want, faster, and with better battery life

DK1102

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I linked most of them together with the link option. It eliminated the clutter and the duplicates. Took no more than 20 minutes or so. The others are just there and I ignore them. But most of friends on face book I have their contact info anyway

smittybass

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Having it synced will give your contacts pictures as well as other info and it really doesnt take long. Also you can change the view of your contacts to just 'phone contacts'. Open up your contacts and click where it says Contacts and it will give you give you other catagories and choose Phone Contacts instead of All. Hope this helps.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I find it ridiculous that facebook assumes that everyone wants all of the inflated, phoney "friends" populated into our phones contact database. This is only a guess, but I doubt that even 20% of all the "friends" on facebook have ever even met, much less spoken to each other on the phone. I should shut up...I don't want to get wound up into a facebook rant.

The solution that I found for my sons phone was to leave the facebook app deleted and in either Dolphin or xScope browser, go into settings, user agent and change it from Android to Desktop/Computer. Thereafter, any site that you visit will only show the full version.

It works for us.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem when my Droid X was new. Did a reset and then loaded FB from the Market. Don't use the FB app that is stock. That took care of the problem

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I find it ridiculous that facebook assumes that everyone wants all of the inflated, phoney "friends" populated into our phones contact database. This is only a guess, but I doubt that even 20% of all the "friends" on facebook have ever even met, much less spoken to each other on the phone. I should shut up...I don't want to get wound up into a facebook rant.

The solution that I found for my sons phone was to leave the facebook app deleted and in either Dolphin or xScope browser, go into settings, user agent and change it from Android to Desktop/Computer. Thereafter, any site that you visit will only show the full version.

It works for us.

So off base. The Facebook app from the Market does NOT sync any data to your contacts. This is the app written by and maintained by Facebook. However, if you add Facebook to the ACCOUNTS section of Blur (Settings -> Accounts), that will sync profile pictures, contact info, and other data from facebook to your contacts. This is COMPLETELY separate from the offical Facebook for Android app and is 100% a Motorola/Blur function.

In other words, your rant should be directed at Motorola or you shouldn't be ranting at all because adding your Facebook account to Blur is completely optional.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I too had this issue. thanks For the tip on removing the blur facebook. Now my contacts are just MY contacts! :)

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So off base. The Facebook app from the Market does NOT sync any data to your contacts. This is the app written by and maintained by Facebook. However, if you add Facebook to the ACCOUNTS section of Blur (Settings -> Accounts), that will sync profile pictures, contact info, and other data from facebook to your contacts. This is COMPLETELY separate from the offical Facebook for Android app and is 100% a Motorola/Blur function.

In other words, your rant should be directed at Motorola or you shouldn't be ranting at all because adding your Facebook account to Blur is completely optional.
HA. I was about to post the same thing. So true. I really don't like Blur at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12