GPS...does it stay "on?"

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So Ive always wondered about this...when you turn on GPS and open, for example, google maps, the little icon pops up and you get a lock. Then when you close google maps, the icon goes away. Now when you open it again, the icon comes back and it takes a second to get another lock...so...

Is GPS actually on or just "able" to be turned on at that point, and is turning off GPS (like through the widgets) really doing anything except preventing gps from being turned on? TIA

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's better to have location on for a better search with some applications. GPS... on the other hand should only be used when needed(drains battery).

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
But is it really "on" if there is no icon at the top? Or is it just able to be used and sleeping? It doesnt seem to be like bt that is always looking around and on, it seemed to have to relock when I opened google maps like it was in a stand by mode per se.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
And, meanwhile, keeping the GPS in "standby" does a hit on your battery life. Recommended you do manual on/off when needed by certain apps. You can place a GPS toggle widget on your home screen that functions like a convenient switch. Also available are similar toggle widgets for Bluetooth, Airplane Mode and wifi.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You can place a GPS toggle widget on your home screen that functions like a convenient switch. Also available are similar toggle widgets for Bluetooth, Airplane Mode and wifi.

And brightness (my current widget toggles between 10%, 30%, 100%, and auto) and volume (mine: vibrate, silent, on).

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
And, meanwhile, keeping the GPS in "standby" does a hit on your battery life. Recommended you do manual on/off when needed by certain apps. You can place a GPS toggle widget on your home screen that functions like a convenient switch. Also available are similar toggle widgets for Bluetooth, Airplane Mode and wifi.

Or the Power Control Widget can be used, which has WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, and Brightness toggles all in one place. ;)

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
GPS is not used unless it is being used by an app. Otherwise its in "standby" when the widget says it's on.

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I dont think it uses more battery power. Ive left it on by accident and I dont think it really affected my battery life. I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12