Lookout Mobile Security Question

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone thinks of this app. I've read a lot of threads that say you don't need antivirus protection on Android as of yet. I like the part of Lookout that lets you find your phone if missing or stolen and also the backup and restore features. My question is: If you don't need antivirus protection on Android, In LOOKOUT can you turn off the antivirus scanning feature? Just wondering. If not, is it still worth having LOOKOUT on my phone?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Lookout is a great app and is very useful if you are downloading things off the open web. Not needed if your just downloading from the market. There has been some instances of trojans being piggybacked on apps that are downloaded from other sources. It's been a while since I've used it but I'm pretty sure you can turn it off. I just download apps from the market so I haven't bothered to put it back on. There is a free version you can try last I checked.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
They stripped out a lot of the features in the free version after a certain date. Now they offer a free and paid version. You can turn off the anti-virus scanning. It's worth downloading the free version and giving it a try.

Reactions: Andy847

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can turn off the virus scan if you don't want to use it.

The best thing about the most recent update of Lookout is you don't need to leave GPS on all the time to use the locate feature. If you need it, it will turn GPS on automatically.

Of course it's worth it...it's FREE!

Reactions: Andy847

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the free part is what I like. I don't really think I need the virus protection part, but could always try it. I do like the other features though. On some of the reviews though, I read it can eat up a lot of battery. I'll have to see how it goes after I download it.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the free part is what I like. I don't really think I need the virus protection part, but could always try it. I do like the other features though. On some of the reviews though, I read it can eat up a lot of battery. I'll have to see how it goes after I download it.

I have been using it for a while and it works good. after you turn off the anti virus and back up (which is useless pretty much), just leave location on. It doesn't use any battery at all and it locates it perfectly. I love it, try it out.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I downloaded the free version and not really that impressed so far. I tried to locate my phone at home with me and the first time it showed accuracy within 55 meters, which I didn't think was that bad. Then I tried a couple more times to see if it could get closer to my actual location and the next three times it showed accuracy within 2,347 meters and way off on the map. On my PC where I was doing it, under the picture of my Droid X with my mobile number under it, it says Error Connecting. I even tried enabling the assisted GPS mode on my phone to see if it helped a little and rebooted the phone every time and still nowhere near where it was.
I sent this feedback to the Lookout people on the mylookout.com website and still waiting to hear from them about it. So far not really very useful if it can't get that close to the actual phone. It did get close the first time though, so don't know what happened each new time I tried. Anyone else have this problem with Lookout?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Today I tried to locate my phone again. This time got within 8 meters of my house. When I zoomed in the Hybrid and Satellite views it actually showed right where my house was and the location of my bedroom. Very Nice! I have no idea what the problem was last night, but now seems to be working fine. Battery consumption doesn't seem bad at all so far. Changed my view on the app now. May even be my first one I pay for.
Thanks again to all who gave me input.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC