Is there an easy way to post your Droid X screens on the forum?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I get stuck at DDMS. When I click on DDMS I get an messege saying can't be found. I think part of the problem is that people who are completely comfortable with this stuff are teaching people who are not and they are assuming we know certain things. Something is being left out. When you go into the thread that gives the screen shot info the pistures are not showing up there. It appears even the teacher cannot do it himself. LOL.

I agree with you. Although I still appreciate them trying to help us newbies.I get stuck at the same ddms point as you, with same error message.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to take screenshots with the SDK. Believe me, it is much easier to just download z4root and use an app like ShootMe or drocap2.

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to take screenshots with the SDK. Believe me, it is much easier to just download z4root and use an app like ShootMe or drocap2.

If you are a person who is not savvy about this stuff then when there is a real problem I will not know how to deal with it. I'm not even sure if rooting my phone would have much benefit for me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I get stuck at DDMS. When I click on DDMS I get an messege saying can't be found. I think part of the problem is that people who are completely comfortable with this stuff are teaching people who are not and they are assuming we know certain things. Something is being left out. When you go into the thread that gives the screen shot info the pistures are not showing up there. It appears even the teacher cannot do it himself. LOL.

hey jak,, sorry you are having trouble, just a couple questions, this goes for andy aswell. So when you connect your droid X in debugging mode.
Did you go to Device manager and see anywhere on the page it saying ADB interface?
adb.png

Also did you download the Java SDK?
Java SE Downloads - Sun Developer Network (SDN).

and the error that you are getting when you press ddms is it in a white box or in a black box?

i need to run to work but ill check back later

jak112460

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
hey jak,, sorry you are having trouble, just a couple questions, this goes for andy aswell. So when you connect your droid X in debugging mode.
Did you go to Device manager and see anywhere on the page it saying ADB interface?
adb.png

Also did you download the Java SDK?
Java SE Downloads - Sun Developer Network (SDN).

and the error that you are getting when you press ddms is it in a white box or in a black box?

i need to run to work but ill check back later

I believe it is in a black box. Everything is fine until the DDMS. It's acting like it does not recognise the device. It's in debugging. I went to tools and then DDMS.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I believe it is in a black box. Everything is fine until the DDMS. It's acting like it does not recognise the device. It's in debugging. I went to tools and then DDMS.

See the thing is , DDM which is Dalvik Dug monitor will open without the phone even connected. But it wont open if it doesnt have the Java SDK installed.... If you have it installed the other problem could be it cant find it, in which case it needs to be moved to where it can be found

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine is in the black box too when I do it. I installed the Java and the SDK. I'll trying moving them somewhere else and see if it helps. I also read something on a developer's site to try to install the 32 bit JDK as a workaround instead of the 64 bit, which said it helped some people, not me though. When istalling the JDK though the only options are for windows and windows 64 bit. So I downloaded both and made no difference.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine is in the black box too when I do it. I installed the Java and the SDK. I'll trying moving them somewhere else and see if it helps. I also read something on a developer's site to try to install the 32 bit JDK as a workaround instead of the 64 bit, which said it helped some people, not me though. When istalling the JDK though the only options are for windows and windows 64 bit. So I downloaded both and made no difference.

Andy is there anyway for you to read off what it says in the box or could you press on the window and then hit ALT+Print screen botton,, this will make a screen shot of the window, then you can paste it into your paint program and save it, then post it here

thanks

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I found a thread of someone fixing this but im going to try it on my work computer first and see if i can figure it out before i suggest it to you , give me a couple mins i need to download the sdk stuff

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon, I'm posting this to show something in my device manager that you posted earlier in this thread. I don't know if it helps or not.

devicemanagerjpg.jpg

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok not only was i able to replicate the problem but i found a solution,,,,,,

ok first you need to find the path to your platform-tools folder and copy it,
for example mine is :
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
paste this in a note pad or word.

then go to "my computer" or "computer" from the start button, right click and select properties>select advanced system settings>click the advanced tab at the top>then click enviroment variables

you will see two windows, you want the one that says System variables> scroll down till you see "Path" >then click the edit.. button

a new window will pop up "edit system variable"
in the second text window "Variable value"
you will see a long string of paths,,, at the very end of it all add a semicolon ";" and then the path that i had you copy earlier
so for example if the end of this string looked like this

C:\Program Files\VISA\WinNT\Bin\

it will now look like this

C:\Program Files\VISA\WinNT\Bin\;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

now just click OK till all the windows are closed,,,,go hit the DDMS thing
and you are off and running

Reactions: Andy847

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon, Oh yeah It works! Thanks so much for taking the time DroidXcon to help out. I really appreciate it. I was not ready to Root yet, this was a lot of time trying to get it to work. I know you have a life of your own and taking the time to figure this out for me and others in the post with same problem, is really appreciated.:)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon, Oh yeah It works! Thanks so much for taking the time DroidXcon to help out. I really appreciate it. I was not ready to Root yet, this was a lot of time trying to get it to work. I know you have a life of your own and taking the time to figure this out for me and others in the post with same problem, is really appreciated.:)

You are very welcome, i know you were frustrated with it and i didnt want to leave it and rack it up as a lose.

I'm sure the IT guy is going to be visitning me soon wondering why i added all that to my computer LOL but he is a good guy im sure it wont be a problem.

So glad i was able to help i expect to see some screen shots up soon ;)