El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Here's a video on installing Z4root:
YouTube - How to Root Any Froyo 2.2 Android Phone using Z4Root

Here's the download link for z4root:
z4root.apk download

Here's a video on using Titanium Backup Pro (app in the market):
YouTube - Titanium Backup for Android (How to backup and restore applications)

Easy way to install custom ROMS with ROM Manager video tutorial(app in the market):
YouTube - Motorola Droid - Easy installation of Custom Roms, Rom Manager!
OR

Installing custom roms with Bootstrap(app in the market):
YouTube - How-to Install ROM's on the Droid 2 and Droid X (example: Fission 2.1 by TeamDefuse)

List of all custom ROMs for the DroidX(I like using ApeX):
Droid X ROMS - HERE - Android Forums

x

Thanks a lot. I am already rooted and have z4root, but I will keep this post in mind if I ever decide to get into ROMS

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I watched the video, but it did not help me. I have already accomplished the steps mentioned, right up to the part where he says to install the app. I click on the app, select Open App Manager, and the screen that displays is blank. There is no Install button as shown in the video. And yes, I have enabled the options he says to enable in Settings. I did not need USB to get the application on my phone. But I can go no further. So it looks to me like I will forever be stuck with an unrooted phone. Which really stinks, because things like screen capture and being able to use that nifty Copy and Paste program will be out of reach.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Do I need ROMS and a Bootstrap program to root? If someone can help, I would be happy to document the exact steps I used, right up to where I cannot install the app. The process outlined in the steps above seems simple, but it doesn't work for me.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I watched the video, but it did not help me. I have already accomplished the steps mentioned, right up to the part where he says to install the app. I click on the app, select Open App Manager, and the screen that displays is blank. There is no Install button as shown in the video. And yes, I have enabled the options he says to enable in Settings. I did not need USB to get the application on my phone. But I can go no further. So it looks to me like I will forever be stuck with an unrooted phone. Which really stinks, because things like screen capture and being able to use that nifty Copy and Paste program will be out of reach.

Try pulling the battery when that happens. It usually doesn't install the first go...you need to reset the phone.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
thank you very much i will save this is my file until i get the DX but now im having thoughts about the TunderStorm but i think DX will be better still im just not a video chat kinda person.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I will try the battery pull, but also wanted to note that when the App Manager is opened, under Details tab, it says it could not open the /mnt/download/z4root.1.3.0.apk as an APK file.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i dont wanna sound like a newbie but what are ROMS?

Not sure what phone you have but If you're using a DroidX......Froyo would be your rom.

A stock ROM is the version of the phone?s operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it.

A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc ?everything you need to operate the device, except it?s customized by someone in some way.

Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, your link worked and I clicked the apk on top. It installed two apk files. Which one should I install? One says 1.1.3 and the other is 2.1.3.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
The 1.1.3 install went through but I am looking for a Superuser icon and don't see it. It did not say to reboot but I will try that next.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I got it to work. I opened the application and ran it and rebooted my phone at least once and now there is a super user icon. Thank you for all your help.