Need help with rooting Droid X.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't be naive. Show your OS version and get a proper z4root version. Then bootstrap install via astro .apk format. Then nandroid that ROM so you can unroot easily. Duh.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
to root? just download z4root (not from the market) and call it a day.

im new so i just wanted to ask. i was told that it is not on the market anymore is that true if so how do i do i then?

Don't be naive. Show your OS version and get a proper z4root version. Then bootstrap install via astro .apk format. Then nandroid that ROM so you can unroot easily. Duh.

what do you mean OS version? i really dont have the phone yet my available to upgrade on monday. and is the app called astro.apk?

overall i just download z4root.apk and astro.apk and thats all?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
you can grab a d/l link for z4root here. as johnly mentioned, you need to also download and app called astro (a file manager app that also lets you install non-market apps) to install it onto your device.

edit: sorry, link appears to be broken. just search the droid x roms/hacks forum for "z4root". the post you need is called "z4root dl"

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service I used this version of Z4root on my X no problems, recommended by a fellow android enthusiast. this one works with the most current OS.

Ok, add me to the confusion "Pool". The link you provide is for Version 1.1.0, the link that I have is for V1.3.0. I was unaware that there are different versions floating around. How do you know which version to use? I would assume using the most up to date (V1.3.0) would cover all androids. Am I wrong. Below is the link for the version I have from XDA.
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You are not wrong. Use v1.3.0 and that will root everything. No need for everyone else to complicate the OP by saying there are different versions of z4root.

His phone is obviously coming stock and will have the current android version.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Z4root is extremely easy. You'll have it done in no time. Here are the step by step instructions you'll need to root the phone (this is what I did after I stupidly updated my phone forgetting I had root and suddenly found my self unrooted trying to use wireless tether at work). Took me about 3 minutes to reroot it.

1. Download Astro File Manager from the Market. You'll need it to find the file after you download it.

2. Navigate to the proper z4root page using your phone's browser and download the file (called an .apk).

3. After downloading, go to settings-->applications and click Unknown Sources (this will let you install non-market programs).

4. Then go to Settings-->Applications-->Development and enable USB Debugging.

5. Now go to your Astro File Manager and locate the z4root file in your downloads folder (the folders are organized like a desktop computer, so it should be easy to find).

6. Run the z4root file. It will install the z4 program on your phone.

7. Now use the z4 program to root your DX. The program will be in your app drawer with all your other apps.

8. Go back to Settings-->Applications and turn off the Unknown Sources & Debugging. I only turn it on when I'm actually doing something that requires it.

That's it, you're rooted. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: gt3dan

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
OK Coming from a blackberry, and its propensity to crash, I have been very nervous about this whole rooting thing... So I read your instructions here. It was incredibly easy to do. And now, this Droid seems like it doubled in speed! WOW! First thing I installed was no ads. Angry Birds with no ads rocks!

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I just used z4root and it said it just rooted and installed superuser but did not reboot my phone. I checked out the superuser app that I now have but it does not work. I just did the temp root im not ready to go there with this phone yet. Weird that it said it finished but I don't think that I have root. I downloaded rom manager and it says that there is not superuser. So what when wrong. I did remember to check the usb debugging.

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Z4root is extremely easy. You'll have it done in no time. Here are the step by step instructions you'll need to root the phone (this is what I did after I stupidly updated my phone forgetting I had root and suddenly found my self unrooted trying to use wireless tether at work). Took me about 3 minutes to reroot it.

1. Download Astro File Manager from the Market. You'll need it to find the file after you download it.

2. Navigate to the proper z4root page using your phone's browser and download the file (called an .apk).

3. After downloading, go to settings-->applications and click Unknown Sources (this will let you install non-market programs).

4. Then go to Settings-->Applications-->Development and enable USB Debugging.

5. Now go to your Astro File Manager and locate the z4root file in your downloads folder (the folders are organized like a desktop computer, so it should be easy to find).

6. Run the z4root file. It will install the z4 program on your phone.

7. Now use the z4 program to root your DX. The program will be in your app drawer with all your other apps.

8. Go back to Settings-->Applications and turn off the Unknown Sources & Debugging. I only turn it on when I'm actually doing something that requires it.

That's it, you're rooted. Enjoy!

Good instructions Turtle. I just rooted last week and used this thread for instructions: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/50921-easiest-way-root-x.html
That also provides a link and tutorial for z4root, a link for instructions on using droid x bootstrap (for flashing roms and making backups), and a few links for different ROMs.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a DX with the latest update of .340. I downloaded the version of z4root and it's on my phone. But neither Astro or Androzip will extract the file. I get errors in each app. What interim steps am I missing? In reading above, it seems like I better memorize the Android glossary.

ETA: did not see the additional posts. Off to read. Sorry.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I got z4root from 4shared.com and once it downloads just tap it and it installs just like an app. Now maybe that's why im having issues doing the temp root.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I followed the instructions listed above, but when I get to step 6, run the file, I am lost. How do I run the apk file? Does this involve a cli? And in one step, it mentions USB debugging, which seems to imply having the phone connected to a PC. If so, do I need an SPK on the desktop?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
DroidX Guide to Rooting, Backing Up and Installing Custom ROMS

What you will need:
Here's a video on installing Z4root:
YouTube - How to Root Any Froyo 2.2 Android Phone using Z4Root

Here's the download link for Z4root :
z4root.apk download

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's a video on using Titanium Backup Pro (app in the market):
YouTube - Titanium Backup for Android (How to backup and restore applications)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Easy way to install custom ROMS with ROM Manager video tutorial (app in the market):
YouTube - Motorola Droid - Easy installation of Custom Roms, Rom Manager!

OR

Installing custom roms with Bootstrap video tutorial (app in the market):
YouTube - How-to Install ROM's on the Droid 2 and Droid X (example: Fission 2.1 by TeamDefuse)

List of all custom ROMs for the DroidX (I like using ApeX):
Droid X ROMS - HERE - Android Forums

(You will also need a file manager, I use Astro..app found in the market)

x

Last edited:
Reactions: El Jefe