Droid X keyboard alternative ?

thp2478

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone care to suggest an alternative keyboard for the Droid X. I became accustomed to the compact qwerty with the Incredible and BB Storm 2 and man I am finding myself very slow at typing with the full keyboard setup. Haven't messed with Swype enough to go that route. Thanks in advance.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Try Swype exclusively for 1 week...once I did that & got used to it, I could NEVER side myself using anything else.

tjhop4292

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
smart keyboard pro has options for full/t9/compact qwerty keyboards. you have to pay for it though.

however, id suggest a full qwerty layout, especially if a lot of typing is involved. layout is more than comfortable in landscape with huge screen.

if just short messages usually, id suggest swype. both amazing, but im not a fan of the landscape layout of swype. its a preference.

Last edited:

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Once you use Swype, you will never go back. It's absolutely amazing ... and even fun! Make sure you check out the settings for Swype so you can tailor it to your own style of movement and what you want, regarding auto corrections, etc. Great stuff.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Swype is an acquired taste. I use smart keyboard pro and like all of the options and customization. There are trials on some of the keyboards in the market. Give a few a try. And see which one you like.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i use to never want to switch to a keyboard or touch screen cause i was use to the T9 style of texting,,,i started of using swype on my my old DX even though it seemed like a pain to get a handle on,,, but now i wouldnt go back

RemmyZero

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
personally i think the Gingerbread keyboard is a great alternative. it's slightly smaller but seems more accurate and quicker to respond.

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Swype as soon as I purchased the DX when it came out. It took about a day or two of texting to get used to it, but it's so fast once you get used to it.

I just rooted and flashed the Apex 1.3.1 ROM and that comes with the Gingerbread (GB) keyboard, so I've been using that for the past few days. I'm actually starting to get used to typing on a normal keyboard again and this GB keyboard is very fast and responsive.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is a great keyboard. I used Swype for a long time after I got my X but got tired of it after a while.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is a great keyboard. I used Swype for a long time after I got my X but got tired of it after a while.
From the SwiftKey VIP

The SwiftKey Beta will close on January 18th as a new development cycle begins. Beta or market releases are planned for every couple of weeks. Please check out the current release and share your ideas in the Feature Request poll. If you don't yet have SwiftKey, you can download the free trial here or from AppBrain.

laker_hockey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried Swype for a week or so, but didn't like that I had to keep look at the keyboard. I really like SwiftKey. mainly for the word prediction capabilities.

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ultra Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Pro, and Better Keyboard all have a compact keyboard mode, but they are also all paid apps.

Or, you can get the HTC_IME keyboard, and try it. Just Google HTC_IME.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've tried just about every keyboard in the market, paid versions of most, and although some have a compact qwerty option, it pales in comparison to bb's. That keyboard is the only thing that I used to miss from my bb. You got to give swype a fair chance. It's very different and it took me trying it 2 times for it to stick. The first time, I felt so awkward after about 10 minutes, I called it a pos and switched back. But after reading post after post like this one, I tried it again and commited to using nothing but swype for a couple of days. Like most others, I'll tell you it's the fastest keyboard out there and can't imagine ever using anything else.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I've tried just about every keyboard in the market, paid versions of most, and although some have a compact qwerty option, it pales in comparison to bb's. That keyboard is the only thing that I used to miss from my bb. You got to give swype a fair chance. It's very different and it took me trying it 2 times for it to stick. The first time, I felt so awkward after about 10 minutes, I called it a pos and switched back. But after reading post after post like this one, I tried it again and commited to using nothing but swype for a couple of days. Like most others, I'll tell you it's the fastest keyboard out there and can't imagine ever using anything else.

Why do you think the compact qwerty keyboard for smart keyboard pales in comparison to the BB suretype on the Storm? I think that it is better or at the very least, just as good.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not liking swype as much. Too many errors.

And why can't I just go into the user dictionary and delete what I want!? I hate having to type it then highlight it then delete it.

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What's everyone love about smart keyboard pro? What about it is better than the stock keyboard / swype

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
What's everyone love about smart keyboard pro? What about it is better than the stock keyboard / swype

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I like that I have an option of a compact qwerty in portrait mode. It makes it easier to type for me because the keys are twice the size. I like that I can customize my keyboard to my likes. I made the keyboard black with alternate keys enabled. You can also customize the skin of the keyboard. You can take on the keyboard style of Samsung, iPhone, HTC, or Android. You can shorten or lengthen the keys. A big bonus is that it enables autotext like I had on my BlackBerry.