Droid X Owners: How are you liking or not liking the large size?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey Droid X owners, now that you've had the phone a while, how are you liking or not liking its large size? As the Bionic and other 4.3" screen phones come out, I'm wanting their features but not their size. It seems too big, particularly once you throw in the bezel. But I'm interested in the perspective of people who use something this size daily. Maybe it's not that big a deal. No need to try to sell me, just share your experiences.

1. If you thought it was too big at first:
A.) does it still kind of bug you?
B.) have you gotten used to it and don't think about it?
C.) do you now actually appreciate the extra screen space?

2. If you weren't worried about the size at first or didn't realize how big it was going to be, has it started to grate on you?

3. Your next phone will be:
A.) Definitely smaller
B.) Definitely this size or larger
C.) Whatever, not really a factor

seanubis

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Was never worried about the size, and it doesn't bother me at all. I'm even rocking the Body Glove case, which adds a bit of bulk, and I still have no complaints.

For my next phone, I'll definitely be looking at larger phones, but not necessarily as big or larger than the DX. 4" screen minimum for sure.

Reactions: Astrodroid

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
For me the large size was a definite plus. I'm a big guy (6'5") with big hands and have no use for a physical keyboard, so I wanted the largest screen possible. Size is not an issue in my pocket either.

BTW, my friend's wife also got the X and loves it...she's about 5'1".

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Love it. Period. The bionic looks awesome, but not enough of a significant upgrade for me yet. (I'm one of those people that has to use a device for at least a year to feel like it was worth getting)
But yeah, I don't think I can go back to anything less than 4.3 now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I was never worried about the screen size before I got the DX & couldn't see myself ever getting a phone with any screen smaller than 4".

My wife is 5'2" and has the Droid 2. She says my DX is too big for her and I think her D2 is too small for me.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I was slightly afraid of the size when I first ordered it on release day sight unseen. But I have been extremely happy with it from the first time I powered it up.

I definitely appreciate the extra screen size. Anytime I've played with a phone with a smaller screen, I've missed it. It has made the screen on my handheld GPS seem much smaller, though. Never say never, but I don't expect to go to anything significantly smaller. I don't intend to get a new phone for a long time.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought the phone was ridiculously large when it first came out....that and the Evo. I use to make fun of both of them for a good month until I decided to buy the DX.

After using it for a few days you get use to it and now it actually feels small to me. Perfect size for browsing the web or anything else on the phone. I will never buy a phone with a smaller screen then the DX ever again.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I was really looking forward to the bigger screen. I like to use the Kindle app and reading on the bigger screen has been a pleasant experience. I wonder if the screens are going to get any bigger though? The new Samsung is 4.5. Wonder how that feels in the hand.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love the bigger screen. Videos are nice on it and easy to hold in your hands. Very comfortable phone to use. Also its thin so I sometimes forget its in my pocket I would not go back to a smaller screen phone.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I just received the Droid X for Christmas.... It's the one I wanted because of the larger size. I was a bit concerned about it at first because of the size, but that was pretty much eliminated after the first few days of having it. My previous phone was the LG Voyager and I was a bit worried about the DX being too big to have to carry around, but the case I have that connects to my belt is perfect...not really much bigger then the voyager,but then it is a lot bigger...if ya know what I mean...;)

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
i honestly dont think i can ever go to a smaller screen after the X. its amazing. the D1 screena and the i*hone dont even compare. i think i would have to have a minimum of 4.3'' in my next phone.

Cyber Phunk

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
After a couple months usage, I'm hooked on the bigger screen. :D

Had the LG Voyager before this, and was slightly concerned about the size difference, but am very happy with this phone!

The screen is awesome, great for watching videos and web surfing. The overall size isn't an issue really, as it's not very thick, and the "bump" at the top just helps orient it in my hand when I grab it. ;)

In a year and half I might start thinking about an upgrade, but one requirement will be a screen as big or slightly bigger than this one. Oh, and maybe dual processors. ;)

j0hnnyRingo

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I went from Incredible to the Droid 2, to the X. I had thought I would prefer the Dinc over the X because of its compact size...but once switching to the X, the size hasnt been a factor. Now I have gotten so use to so much screen real estate, I dont know if I could switch to anything else.

I will read an email on my X, then have to read one on my blackberry and find myself having to squint to read it on the 9650.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Going from a Storm 9550 to the DX as far as size is concern, it's slightly longer but it's thicker. But then again, this phone is a mini laptop/netbook compared to my blackberry. I don't mind the size, it's not too noticeable.

gt3dan

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I love the size of the screen. I actually think I would be ok with up to a 5'' screen. The dell streak still fits nicely in your hand. As far as it fitting in my pocket, its a good size to keep on you all day and not to be bothered too much. The only people that need to worry about pocket size are women with tight jeans and emo kids wearing womens jeans.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Would be willing to go to 4.5". Anything smaller than the DX is too small and the DX has the perfect blend of size + pocket-ability.

I would go far as that too.

I played with my iPodTouch and couldn't believe how much I like the slightly bigger screen on the DX. The screen on the touch is small for me and watching a movie on it sucks. I think I'm going to drop my touch and get another extended battery so I can watch movies on flights when I travel for work.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
No question that the size is an advantage. I feel the X bridges the gap between a traditional touch-screen cell and the tablets coming out today. It's small enough to put in a pocket, yet large enough to do some serious web surfing. Watching videos is a great experience - sharp, clear and great sound! I will not willingly go back to a smaller screen size, nor do I seek a larger one. I think the X is pretty close to perfect - slim, powerful, better than anything on the market, even now.

compchick813

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I could ever have a smaller phone again. After I week with the X I picked up my old Omnia to pull off some pics, and it felt so small. The screen size is one of the things that makes the X so amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463