Gmail not in the Universal Inbox

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but I did do a search... How do I make gmail show up in the universal inbox? It was there. Then I had to hard reset the phone, set up the gmail account, along with a live account. But only the live account and texting appear in the universal inbox...

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
gMail goes through it own app that isn't tied into the default email client so as far as I know that you can't view gMail under the universal box, but you may be able to use one of the 3rd party email clients to set all accounts into.

eckster

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
You can use the universal box to access Gmail and all your folders in Gmail. This will allow your universal box to have text, Gmail and an exchange email account - basically what many blackberry users have grown accustomed to with the one mailbox. Just be sure to disable notifications from the native Gmail application on the phone so you won't be notified twice. Here are the instructions to configure your Gmail account through the add email account.

To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Gmail, just follow the steps below:

Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.
And you're done. You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.

Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing settings
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465

Now that your account is set up, learn how actions in your client sync with Gmail.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You can use the universal box to access Gmail and all your folders in Gmail. This will allow your universal box to have text, Gmail and an exchange email account - basically what many blackberry users have grown accustomed to with the one mailbox. Just be sure to disable notifications from the native Gmail application on the phone so you won't be notified twice. Here are the instructions to configure your Gmail account through the add email account.

To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Gmail, just follow the steps below:

Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.
And you're done. You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.

Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993

Outgoing settings
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465

Now that your account is set up, learn how actions in your client sync with Gmail.

Hmmm, never thought of using the imap information in default app to get this to work, but wont the user still have to log into gMail app because isn't this the method that the phone uses to sync contact information?

lesmisman

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new Droid X user here. The answer above - I can't follow it. Could someone restate what it is saying to do? (IMAP, 'Your Accounts', etc. - I can't find). Help!

eckster

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, never thought of using the imap information in default app to get this to work, but wont the user still have to log into gMail app because isn't this the method that the phone uses to sync contact information?

I still have myself logged into the gmail app, but I don't have it set to notify me of incoming messages. I strictly use the default email app for gmail, which enables my universal inbox to have gmail, exchange email and text messages similar to how it was on my blackberry.

The only issue I have is when it comes to folders. Through the universal email box I am able to move gmail email to the folders in gmail and exchange email to the folders listed in my exchange account. However, I cannot view folders from the universal inbox. In order to view folders you need to go into the email box of gmail or exchange to view folders and their contents. Also, the email box created for gmail does not have a separate icon. If I choose email I then must select the default email to bring up either exchange or gmail account.

Basically, I still use the gmail app for easy access to folders when I need it, but on a regular basis for most email stuff I strictly use the universal inbox.

Reactions: wildman

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn