how do i get google to back up contacts?

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ok this is probabaly a noob question... but how do i get google to back up my contacts instead of backup assistant? what i want to do is get all of my contacts on my phone to show up in my gmail contacts. also i am pretty sure that when you attach a photo to a contact, and backup with google they are still there if you get a new phone... with VZW backup assistant it backs up all info but no pics. any help?

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Well when you are saving your contact just save it to your google account. If you want to upload all your contacts to your google account then get them in xml format and then go into your google account and upload the xml file into the contact section. It was so easy to get the contacts in xml format on the pre...

Sent From Tapatalk.

Reactions: bear_lx

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The phone has a built in export Vcard that export and import all your contacts to your Google account. Open people/contacts. > menu > import/export then tap export and all your contacts should be sent and save on your Google account.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ahhh i see... thanks. well the thing that had me confused was that all my contacts were already saved to my phone as a "contacct" not a "google contact". backup asst backs them up.

so i export them all to my sdcard? do i have to import them back to the phone and then save them as google contacts?

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ok so i exported them to my sdcard, then imported them back from the sdcard and saved them under my gmail account instead of backup asst. they still arent under my contacts when i log into my gmail on my pc... ive got to be doing something wrong.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You could log into your verizon account, go to backup assistant and export all the contacts to a csv file, then import them into your google account online. I did that for my son and got all his into gmail.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ok i got it... what i did was export contacts to sd card, turn backup asst off because this method always trumps google, then imported them back to my phone and saved them under my google contacts. then i had to go into my accounts and resync contacts,gmail, and calander. then they slowly started pooping up in my gmail on my pc.

edit: this method does save pics associated with your contacts. once gmail recognizes your pics, they are saved on the account, not just the sdcard... thanks for your help though guys...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Grey, does that method back up the contact photos also?

No, because it exports them from backup asst to a csv file...no pics included. But if you don't do this, you'll always be relying on verizon for your contacts. I'd rather put my faith in google and get them into gmail.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
@grey - I agree.

Uh oh --- I just discovered something. I have my number set to Private, and I use the "*82" so only certain people I call can see my private number. Well I just did an Export contacts, and then looked at the text file it produced. It did NOT preserve the "*82" prefixes that I have before some of the phone numbers in my contacts! It eliminated the "*" character, so it just begins with "82", meaning if/when I need to import them, they will need to be fixed. :/ Hmm, that will be a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo