I finally got up the courage to root my phone a couple days ago... then I got really bold and started installing custom ROMS. I had major issues with TranQ and was barely able to restore it back to my rooted stock 2.3.340, but the boot image and animation weren't back, so I decided to just flash back to stock using rsdlite 4.8.... big mistake. My phone didn't like that and so I tried again. And then again with the previous stock .sbf. Then my battery died. And now I'm getting a "Data Corrupt" message.

I decided to take it in to Verizon and play dumb (took out the SD card... just in case). The guy took one look at it and said it was covered under warranty and they would overnight one to me.

Now I'm worried that when I send my phone back they might notice that it was rooted and will charge me full retail.

What should I do?
    01-19-2011 08:12 PM
    I would get on the phone right away and call "Gloria Allred", looks like you will be needing her services.
    01-19-2011 08:18 PM
    Meaning they will probably throw it in a stack with other returns and not bast an eyelash?
    01-19-2011 08:29 PM
    you bricked it you buy it...#justsayin
    01-19-2011 09:17 PM
    Honestly pop it into a microwave for 1 sec an no more. You will fry the circuit board and the phone will be toasted. Had a buddy do this with his epic and got away with it. If that doesn't work your screwed either way.

This should be a huge known warning when you root or flash rom not do it without atleast 30 at min of a battery.

While I think about it, it sounds like you are in a soft bricked state. Can you get into recovery or get your computer to recognize your phone via usb?

Sent From My "Salvage Evo" Using Tapatalk
    01-19-2011 09:29 PM
    Usually if it still turns on you can fix it. Its when it doesn't even come on when you are fully bricked.

01-19-2011 09:31 PM
    Usually if it still turns on you can fix it. Its when it doesn't even come on when you are fully bricked.

i've bricked and fixed 4 or 5 times. every time though i fully charge before hand. so that might be the difference.

most issues that i have had using SBF are driver issues...if RSD can see the phone it's usually fixable.

maybe not in his case, doesn't matter though he's already got a replacement on the way so he needs to send something back or they will charge him full retail.
    01-19-2011 09:35 PM
    if you're seeing anything at all, then you're not bricked man. Post in some forums. all you need to do is get it to recovery and then you're good.

also, the microwave thing works.
    01-19-2011 10:17 PM
    Phew... fixed it. Plan on refusing the new phone tomorrow. Thanks.
    01-19-2011 11:48 PM
    Good stuff man!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    01-20-2011 08:48 AM
    Oh, by the way.... Stay away from Tranq , that rom causes real issues as you should already know. Its nicely designed but almost got my device to a unbootable state. I am using Darkslide and its incredible, the new build hasn't had any issues,
    01-20-2011 11:31 AM
    Oh, by the way.... Stay away from Tranq , that rom causes real issues as you should already know. Its nicely designed but almost got my device to a unbootable state. I am using Darkslide and its incredible, the new build hasn't had any issues,
    I never had an issue at all with TranQ. Its as good as all the rest. I don't like the design personally.

That ROM has a solid group of devs behind it. They are one of the driving forces behind ROM development on the DX. I believe I saw somewhere that P3Droid said he was going to continue to develop on Moto devices, despite the fact that working on a phone with an unlocked bootloader is easier.

Honestly, if you ever sbf'ed your device you can thank P3Droid and Team Blackhat for that. They released those files to the public.
    01-20-2011 12:58 PM
    i've bricked and fixed 4 or 5 times. every time though i fully charge before hand. so that might be the difference.

most issues that i have had using SBF are driver issues...if RSD can see the phone it's usually fixable.

maybe not in his case, doesn't matter though he's already got a replacement on the way so he needs to send something back or they will charge him full retail.
    Hey Digi,

Glad you said this as I am having an odd issue.
    I have been running 2.1 for the longest time. Rooted ages ago (universal Androot) and no issues. I then unrooted in hopes of going to Froyo and rooting that once I loaded it. The only way I was going to get the update was to do a factory reset (maybe not a good idea), as the Froyo install kept failing.
    Anyhow it seemed to go well but all I have now is the ability to unlock the phone.....I still have the title bar which I can drag down but the screen is otherwise black. It's as if half the OS got loaded.

RSD Litle (4.7) can see the phone but it fails to see the SBF (2.1). Once I type it in it sees it but the start button is greyed out so no updating can occur.

Any ideas??? My bootloader version is 29.01

By the way, I can still get incoming phone calls but have no access to any apps at all so I can't even make an outgoing call.
    01-20-2011 04:28 PM
    Hey Digi,

Glad you said this as I am having an odd issue.
    I have been running 2.1 for the longest time. Rooted ages ago (universal Androot) and no issues. I then unrooted in hopes of going to Froyo and rooting that once I loaded it. The only way I was going to get the update was to do a factory reset (maybe not a good idea), as the Froyo install kept failing.
    Anyhow it seemed to go well but all I have now is the ability to unlock the phone.....I still have the title bar which I can drag down but the screen is otherwise black. It's as if half the OS got loaded.

RSD Litle (4.7) can see the phone but it fails to see the SBF (2.1). Once I type it in it sees it but the start button is greyed out so no updating can occur.

Any ideas??? My bootloader version is 29.01

By the way, I can still get incoming phone calls but have no access to any apps at all so I can't even make an outgoing call.
    I'll see if I can help.

Bootloader is 29.01, android version is 2.2, right?

What is your system version? 2.3.15?

you are or aren't rooted still?
    01-20-2011 07:54 PM
    I'll see if I can help.

Bootloader is 29.01, android version is 2.2, right?

What is your system version? 2.3.15?

you are or aren't rooted still?
    Hey Digi,

The version was 2.1 (Eclair) and I was rooted. Everything is resolved now but I thought I'd post back for anyone else who has this issue.

I first un-rooted to see if I could grab 2.2.
    No problem. Unrooted and then I pulled the update.
    As you may have guessed I removed some bloat along the way (Titanium)
    and that was likely the issue as to why after I dowloaded the install failed twice.
    So then I factory flashed. The phone reset itself part way. I got to the prompt to activate and then the prompt for the gmail user name (which I skipped).
    It seemed it was all done however all I got was a black screen with an active title bar.

The odd thing was that I could see the phone with RSD or simply as the normal Droid icon on my computer but I couldn't see or get to any apps. The phone could also receive incoming calls. I went into the boot mode and reset it again....one thing I noticed is that the recovery file must have been corrupt.

Anyhow, I brought it to Verizon and the tech flashed it and voila....she works.
    Good thing I removed the root though it never became an issue.

By the way, RSD lite (ver. 4.7) did not work. It could never see the sbf file I downloaded. you could type it in and then it would sort of see it but it never allowed the start button to be active......odd.
    01-21-2011 08:58 AM
    Hey Digi,

The version was 2.1 (Eclair) and I was rooted. Everything is resolved now but I thought I'd post back for anyone else who has this issue.

I first un-rooted to see if I could grab 2.2.
    No problem. Unrooted and then I pulled the update.
    As you may have guessed I removed some bloat along the way (Titanium)
    and that was likely the issue as to why after I dowloaded the install failed twice.
    So then I factory flashed. The phone reset itself part way. I got to the prompt to activate and then the prompt for the gmail user name (which I skipped).
    It seemed it was all done however all I got was a black screen with an active title bar.

The odd thing was that I could see the phone with RSD or simply as the normal Droid icon on my computer but I couldn't see or get to any apps. The phone could also receive incoming calls. I went into the boot mode and reset it again....one thing I noticed is that the recovery file must have been corrupt.

Anyhow, I brought it to Verizon and the tech flashed it and voila....she works.
    Good thing I removed the root though it never became an issue.

By the way, RSD lite (ver. 4.7) did not work. It could never see the sbf file I downloaded. you could type it in and then it would sort of see it but it never allowed the start button to be active......odd.
    Glad you are OK now...

To use RSD a few things need to happen. Some of these may or may not be required but I'll list them all to be safe.

- You need the right version of RSD for the version you are SBFing (4.7 was for 2.1 and 4.8 is for 2.2, but always follow the advice of the thread you are getting the SBF from.)
    - You need to make sure you have the right SBF for the version you are coming from. Be careful because there are several out there and some are only for /system and are not considered "full sbfs".

Method 1: While phone is on
    Switch your device to PC mode
    Turn on debugging mode (settings>applications>development>debugging mode)
    Launch RSDLite (make sure device appears in window)
    Select SBF
    Start
    Device will switch to bootloader and begin the flashing process and will reboot when it is complete.

Method 2: While phone is off
    To manually put your device in bootloader mode:
    Turn off device
    press and hold the up and down volume buttons
    power on device (continue to hold the up and down volume buttons)
    wala - you are in bootloader mode
    Select SBF
    Start

I got those steps from here
    Droid X 2.2 Full SBF leaked - Download now

those are the methods I used and they do work.
    hope that helps some folks
    01-21-2011 09:15 AM
    Glad you are OK now...

To use RSD a few things need to happen. Some of these may or may not be required but I'll list them all to be safe.

- You need the right version of RSD for the version you are SBFing (4.7 was for 2.1 and 4.8 is for 2.2, but always follow the advice of the thread you are getting the SBF from.)
    - You need to make sure you have the right SBF for the version you are coming from. Be careful because there are several out there and some are only for /system and are not considered "full sbfs".

Method 1: While phone is on
    Switch your device to PC mode
    Turn on debugging mode (settings>applications>development>debugging mode)
    Select SBF
    Start
    Device will switch to bootloader and begin the flashing process and will reboot when it is complete.

Method 2: While phone is off
    To manually put your device in bootloader mode:
    Turn off device
    press and hold the up and down volume buttons
    power on device (continue to hold the up and down volume buttons)
    wala - you are in bootloader mode
    Select SBF
    Start

I got those steps from here
    Droid X 2.2 Full SBF leaked - Download now

those are the methods I used and they do work.
    hope that helps some folks
    Hey Digi,

All I can think of is that the SBF file was incorrect even though I got it from sites listed on here for such an issue. The other issue was that since I couldn't navigate into my phone my transfer mode could not be accessed so debugging mode was not on.
    For future reference I will downoad the 2.2 SBF file and and have for safe keeping as I'll be rooting soon. So far 2.2 is stable and fine. In reality there is no change from 2.1. Things are a tiny bit smoother but hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the help.
    01-21-2011 10:09 AM
    Hey Digi,

All I can think of is that the SBF file was incorrect even though I got it from sites listed on here for such an issue. The other issue was that since I couldn't navigate into my phone my transfer mode could not be accessed so debugging mode was not on.
    For future reference I will downoad the 2.2 SBF file and and have for safe keeping as I'll be rooting soon. So far 2.2 is stable and fine. In reality there is no change from 2.1. Things are a tiny bit smoother but hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the help.
    No problem glad to help!

If you can't do method 1 or you phone isn't bootable, method 2 should work
    01-21-2011 10:23 AM
    I never had an issue at all with TranQ. Its as good as all the rest. I don't like the design personally.

That ROM has a solid group of devs behind it. They are one of the driving forces behind ROM development on the DX. I believe I saw somewhere that P3Droid said he was going to continue to develop on Moto devices, despite the fact that working on a phone with an unlocked bootloader is easier.

Honestly, if you ever sbf'ed your device you can thank P3Droid and Team Blackhat for that. They released those files to the public.
    There was no disrespect to the TranQ developers, that was reason for the smile but I did have to flash a couple of times before I got no issues with installation. The rom is a nice rom but it wasn't for me...
    01-21-2011 12:21 PM
    There was no disrespect to the TranQ developers, that was reason for the smile but I did have to flash a couple of times before I got no issues with installation. The rom is a nice rom but it wasn't for me...
    oh sorry no i wasn't trying to imply that at all.
    just pointing out that tbh is really good and it was probably just an install issue.
    my bad man.
    01-21-2011 01:23 PM