Bloat ware

shanedroid1

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
hey guys so im new to my dx and im debating rooting it im looking into the liberty rom, but im too scared to do that right now. is it definitely worth it?

also until i am brave enough to venture into the rom world. what verizon bloatware is safe to remove thanks guys

wormeyman

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say that it is worth it, just remember that you are voiding your warranty. Their are lots of ways to recover from a bad flash. Just make sire you have a full battery and do a backup.

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
My recommendation would be not to remove the bloatware, but to freeze it using titanium backup or similar once you are rooted. That way you dont destroy your upgrade path. Also be sure to back up EVERYTHING before you start tinkering with flashing roms.

Most importantly, read, re-read, re-re-read and than read again before you touch the custom roms. You will save yourself heaps of potential frustration and heartache when all is said and done.

Good luck.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My recommendation would be not to remove the bloatware, but to freeze it using titanium backup or similar once you are rooted. That way you dont destroy your upgrade path. Also be sure to back up EVERYTHING before you start tinkering with flashing roms.

Most importantly, read, re-read, re-re-read and than read again before you touch the custom roms. You will save yourself heaps of potential frustration and heartache when all is said and done.

Good luck.

I agree 100%.

Question to the OP: Why remove the bloatware? I know it is frustrating to see on there & I don't like seeing the carriers put stuff we don't want on there anymore than you do, but the Droid X has 8GB of storage available for apps, so it isn't like you are going to run out of space if you leave it on. There is also plenty of RAM to handle anything you want to do even with the bloatware on there.

If you absolutely HAVE to have it gone, freeze it with Titanium Backup instead & hide the apps from your app drawer if you use LauncherPro....out of sight, out of mind.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately no there's no way to freeze bloat without rooting. I froze them all and now I don't have to look at them. If you don't want to root try using ADW. You can essentially hide those icons in the App drawer so you don't have to see them
With that method they still run in the background. For a list of what's safe to freeze Google removing bloatware from Droid x and a thread on XDA comes up with a complete list as well as how to freeze or remove these apps if that's the route you decide to go. Good luck with your X and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Reading and understanding how to recover from installing or changing anything on your device is a must before you step into that world because if you don't you can hit a few snags here and there that can be fun to recover from if you don't have the knowledge.

Also I really don't understand why so many suggest freezing apps instead of removing them because as long as you make a nandroid backup with Bootstrap before you uninstall the apps you can easily restore from backup and everything removed will be restored, this is what I do when I am running a Blurless rom that usually removes all these apps anyway.

Also if you backup everything with Titanium Backup you can easily restore just the apps with it.

Anyway to 'freeze' it without rooting?

No you can not do this because you have to access data that you can not even access without root access.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, what problem are you trying to solve by removing the apps?

Most people want to remove/freeze the apps because they think that the less stuff that's on there the better it'll run, just like a computer.
That's probably partially true with Android phones but not to the same degree.

Persoanlly, the fact that the bloatware is there to begin with and I'm not "allowed" to remove it is annoying enough for me to do it.

Honestly, I think the real culprit for performance on a stock DX is blur its self. You won't fix that without installing a custom rom.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As many have suggested, definitely freeze your Bloatware using either Bloat Freezer, my own app, or Titanium Backup PREMIUM.

Freezing keeps the apps from running and makes them completely invisible to your system, just like they aren't there. If you just delete them, you will not be able to get OTA updates anymore so freezing is definitely the way to go.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Why not just use Launcher Pro and hide the apps?That's what I do and I don't have to root.

This doesn't really do anything other than make your list of apps look a little neater. Verizon's (or your current carrier) bloat ware is still on your phone, still starting on its own, and possibly even using up your data downloading things like scores or other things depending on the app. Depending on how active the bloat ware is in the background, they can affect battery life and slow your phone down.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I had frozen some bloatware with Titanium also, and that works okay. But I have since switched to using SystemApp Remover (found in the market). I like that better because you can back up the actual app first to a folder on your SD card, and then it removes the installed app so it is not taking up phone memory.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had frozen some bloatware with Titanium also, and that works okay. But I have since switched to using SystemApp Remover (found in the market). I like that better because you can back up the actual app first to a folder on your SD card, and then it removes the installed app so it is not taking up phone memory.

You can do this with Titanium also but if you made a Nandroid with Bootstrap I wouldn't worry about it and delete them because they all get restored when you restore with the backup.. I used a number of Blurless ROMs that removed a large amount of the preinstalled apps and all I had to do was run restore from backup and I was good.

I don't see the concern with removing the apps and being under the impression you cant get updates if you do this. As long as you got a backup you can get updates.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can do this with Titanium also but if you made a Nandroid with Bootstrap I wouldn't worry about it and delete them because they all get restored when you restore with the backup.. I used a number of Blurless ROMs that removed a large amount of the preinstalled apps and all I had to do was run restore from backup and I was good.

I don't see the concern with removing the apps and being under the impression you cant get updates if you do this. As long as you got a backup you can get updates.

This is true, but a lot of people don't do Nandroid backups regularly, so if your last nandroid backup was 2 months ago and an OTA comes out, then you have to go back to the way your phone was 2 months ago just to get the OTA.

Freezing is just simpler, easier, and quicker for a lot of people, but everyone has different methods. One thing is for certain, do not delete system APKs if you do not backup your phone on a very very regular basis, freeze them instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance