Newbie would like some info on reviving and repurposing old Droid X. Can I get some help?

A

AC Question

Newbie would like some info on reviving and repurposing old Droid X

Hello All! Android Newbie here. I have been given and old Motorola Droid X that I want to use for just one purpose - To run IP Webcam as a surveillance camera. How does one go about: 1)Updating the Android version, without a carrier? It was originally a Verizon phone but I have it working fine on WiFi only. 2) Eliminating almost all other apps or programs, including Verizon apps so it is running practically nothing else besides IP Webcam? ---Thanks for reading!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Newbie would like some info on reviving and repurposing old Droid X

Welcome to Android Central! In order to remove the Verizon bloat, you'd have to root the phone: Root your Droid X the easy way | Android Central. I'd suggest using something like Titanium Backup to back up anything you decide to delete, in case it turns out to be necessary. You might end up running into compatibility issues with modern apps, since the Droid X's last update was to 2.3.6, I think. There might be custom ROMs for later versions of Android available to install (which requires root), but I'm not familiar with them--there might be more information over at xda-developers.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome