I've been searching the forums trying to decide on which Droid I wanted to switch to when I lay my BB S2 to rest and finally decided on the DX, which should be here Thursday. In what I've read so far a number of blogs and advice columns suggest switching to a gmail account to ease the changeover from BB to Droid. I have a gmail account I had to create for my college work, and my local ISP quit hosting email accounts and migrated everything over to gmail, while allowing us to keep our default email addresses (user@ISP.net). Will I need to switch to my gmail account for contacts, calendars, etc. to transfer from the BB to the Droid with Google Sync, or will it work with the gmail hosted ISP account?
    02-01-2011 10:11 PM
    Do you log-in to gmail with your @isp account? If so, then it should be fine but if not then you should googlesync your BB to your gmail account just to be on the safe side.
    02-01-2011 10:17 PM
    Do you log-in to gmail with your @isp account? If so, then it should be fine but if not then you should googlesync your BB to your gmail account just to be on the safe side.
    duh sorry brain fart moment there. Yes the login is to the gmail imap and smtp servers now, we just use the full ISP address as the username instead of the user account without the domain like normal.

If I wouldn't have been stupid and left my phone on my desk at home I could download Google Sync and make sure, but I'm sure you're right. I'll try it when I get home and see if it lets me sync to the ISP email.
    02-01-2011 11:13 PM
    Google/Gmail will automatically back up your contacts, calendar and email by enabling these under Settings > Accounts > Gmail.

On your computer, to go your Gmail account. You can import your contacts list by making/importing a V-card list on a flash drive (directions are in the Gmail settings on the computer). Once the lists are in Gmail, they will sync instantly with the X in either direction. Great convenience.

Also, you can have Gmail "Fetch" your pop3 email accounts and deliver all at the same time. Also in the settings. Keeps all synced, too.
    02-04-2011 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD