I just upgraded from a BB to the Droid X and I love it.
    Everything is so different and faster.
    First question I have is when I open the browser for internet use, how do I close the browser?
    I seem to be having trouble scrolling. contacts, tapatalk, etc. Everytime my finger gets close to something, it opens that, thread, contact, etc.
    Is there a technique?
    02-02-2011 06:47 PM
    i would also like to know because i usually just hit the home button.
    02-02-2011 06:59 PM
    Just hit the menu button and then hit Windows then just hit the - symbol next to the page and it closes it.

It takes a little getting used to, I'm going to assume you used to have a BB Storm 9550, I had the same issue. It's not like the BB Storm that you can just have your finger on the screen and it will highlight something, then press down to select it. Once you get used to it, it should not be an issue.
    gdasilva16 likes this.
    02-02-2011 07:10 PM
    home button is fine, even though that doesn't 'close' the browser, it wont eat memory or kill you battery.

scrolling just takes some getting used to. we all open a ton of stuff at the beginning. You learn to move your finger when you touch the screen. keep it moving or take it off. becomes second nature.
    gdasilva16 likes this.
    02-02-2011 07:19 PM
    Thanks.
    02-02-2011 07:23 PM
    Just hit the menu button and then hit Windows then just hit the - symbol next to the page and it closes it.

It takes a little getting used to, I'm going to assume you used to have a BB Storm 9550, I had the same issue. It's not like the BB Storm that you can just have your finger on the screen and it will highlight something, then press down to select it. Once you get used to it, it should not be an issue.
    +1 Use the menu in the browser to open all windows and then just minus out anything opened until you are left with the home screen. Then just hit home or return. As for the screen, it's something that you will get the hang of over time.
    gdasilva16 likes this.
    02-02-2011 07:28 PM
    great! thanks
    02-02-2011 07:30 PM
    Many browsers let you exit the browser (and clear the cache and history) by holding the back button. Try Dolphin Browser Mini.
    02-02-2011 08:56 PM
    I came from a BB Storm1 to the X myself, and the biggest conceptual hurdle for me to get over was not having to actually "exit" anything.
    On a BB, if you just back out of apps without closing them, they stay open and eat up your memory. (Sometimes they stay open anyway, which is why we regularly pulled our batteries.)
    Android OTOH, has you leave apps open by design and just monitors how much memory it has left. If it runs low it closes apps you haven't gone back to in a while. But the stuff you use the most will already be loaded up in memory for you when you go back to it.
    02-03-2011 02:55 PM
    Yup, BBOS was not really made to have multiple apps open. Android does it efficiently.
    02-03-2011 03:01 PM
    Is there any benefit to turn off the phone every few days?
    Normally, I just plug it in to the charger at the end of the day.

I accidently put the settings tab on my home screen. How do I move it back where it was?
    02-03-2011 04:00 PM
    Depends on where it was before. If it was in your app drawer, it's still there. You just created a shortcut. If it was on a different homescreen, you just moved it.

Either way, just "long press" the icon (hold your finger on it until it highlights) and drag it to move it. If you drag it all the way to the edge of the screen you should scroll to the next homescreen (if you want to move it there.) Or there will be a trashcan at the bottom of the screen you can drag it to if you just want to delete it.
    02-03-2011 04:12 PM
    hehe, just figured it out as you posted.

Is there somewhere I can find answers to questions like these.
    I will have alot more.
    02-03-2011 04:21 PM
    Is there any benefit to turn off the phone every few days?
    Normally, I just plug it in to the charger at the end of the day.
    Turning off/on the X is one way to have it refresh itself and eliminate any mini-bugs that may have developed since the last time it was turned off. Also, it's always a good idea to do an off/on any time you add or delete an app. Settles the changes internally and there will be fewer issues.

Otherwise, though, you can leave it running - on the charger or off - as long as you wish, if no weirdness occurs. If something doesn't work the way it should, the first line of defense is turning off, wait a minute or so, turn back on. If this doesn't do it, the second defense it to take the battery out, wait a full minute, re-install and turn on. This is called a "hard reset." Takes care of many problems.

If you do a search on this forum, you will likely find answers to just about any problem you encounter. There's a search function at the top of the main page.
    02-04-2011 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD