Droid to Droid X

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have a Droid (since day 1 on 11/6/09). I was planning on upgrading to a Thunderbolt in a few weeks on a 1 year contract. I just found out that if I want a 1 year contract I would have to wait till July (20 months). Now I plan on buying a used Droid X. I haven't bought a used phone in a long time. What do I need to watch out for? I will need one with a good ESN. How do you go about checking if it is a good #? Do I ask the seller then call Verizon? When I do the swap do I need to bring in my old phone? It's rooted so I would rather not have Verizon touch it if possible.

Thanks

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused...you should still be able to upgrade your Droid after 12 months because that was the terms of the agreement when you signed the contract back in '09.

Now if you do that and renew then your are now at the new 20 month cycle for upgrades because it's a new contract.

I would check into that...when you signed up it was 12 months.

I never bought a used phone so hopefully someone else can weigh in on this.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Other than just making sure the phone is in good condition, you need to make sure the ESN is clear. Ask the seller for the ESN # and then call Verizon. They will be able to tell you if it is clear or not.

I buy almost all my phones used. I usually buy from ebay. I haven't ever had any problems.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You can activate your device from the Verizonwireless.com website, all you need to enter is the MEID number (formerly known as ESN), then call *228 and choose option 1 to program your phone.

If you get it from eBay, you can purchase a warranty on it from squaretrade.com

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all. I ordered an X off of Ebay from a reputable seller. It looks like you will be seeing alot of me in this forum. :D

UltraDroid

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
My Droid X, purchased in late July, is *probably* my favorite phone. It's easy to root, has a number of really cool roms and themes, and is BIG (love the 4.3 screen!), FAST (great processor) and just about all I could ask for in a phone. You'll really enjoy owning one.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep. I agree ... you will be blown away by the X capabilities, appearance, and ability to customize. It's one extraordinary mini-computer that just happens to make phone calls.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
With the X, I can make ringtones for a few friends that still have BB, upload them to my server then they can download when they want. I can also use my X to edit my webpages (HTML, no flash/java), I can trim videos and mix music.