WiFi not providing data

Philipw2

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
My plan was to take the Droid X on our trip abroad to use as a WiFi-only device in the hotels, etc.

So yesterday I turned on the WiFi at home to see. It said it was connected to the home network and the WiFi testing app had a lot of green stars in every channel. But I got no email, none of my apps could connect. Even the browser and marketplace were disfunctional all day. When I turned off the WiGi at the end of the day, 3G came back and I got email, marketplace etc.

What could be the issue? (By way of background, I use a Static IP in my droid X. It wasn't connecting to the WiFi otherwise. I set the static IP up according to this:

http://www.droid-forum.com/motorola...2.html?s=e561eeeecc23fec304170ac4e9e8e737&amp
)

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It should of still worked. Try doing it again but this time, while your on 3g, escape out of everything instead of just hitting home. And then connect to wifi then open up browser and market.

Also with some hotel wifi, you need to connect, wait a minute or two then open the browser then it will take you to a simple log on page and then you have to accept then your connected to wifi.

If that don't work, shut off the phone with wifi turned on then turn it back on and see what happens.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
First, try to go somewhere else to see if the X works on another wifi network. If not, then you know it is the X. If it does, you know the problem is you home network.

Did you recently install a DNS server on your home network? If so, it may be causing conflict and blocking outgoing access to everything but the pc that has the software installed.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my phone. Wifi wont work either. At home it wont work. But other places its fine... I don't think its my home network because my wife's X works perfectly fine. I've had 2 different Xs in the past 2 weeks and they've both done the same thing. I'm a little confused about how to get it to work. I have more than just our Xs on wifi. Ps3,laptops,ipods and an ipad. All wifi functions well on those devices

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What security protocols are on your network?

Also, if you can do it, go into your network management on the router and see if you can add the Mac address of your phone to the accepted list.

If you recently added a DNS server to one of the networked PC's, remove it. These can cause wifi problems to devices added after the DNS.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Usually powering off Airplane mode and back on usually resolve or just restart to allow ip address to be refreshed. If this still don't work restart wifi router.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Then not your network, I guess. Bummer, that would havebeen alot easier to fix. Sorry man.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity, did you disable the static IP at the VZW store? That only works if you know what your network is configured for and you know that the IP you're using is open - many networks use a 10.x.x.x network, it's common to have either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x on home routers, and a busy open network will quickly fill up a lot of IPs which could cause a conflict. Essentially if you don't know what subnet your network is configured for (or what a subnet is), static IPs can be dangerous. :)

Philipw2

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
they want to reset the droid.

I mentioned the static IP to both VZ at the store and on the phone tech support. None reacted, as if they didn't understand what that meant.

VZ support wants to reset my Droid X. Should I let them?

Does this usually solve problems.?

I am now making a backup with MyBackupPro of all my data & apps.

1. Has anyone had experience with them?
2. Do they work?
3. Would restoring all my data bring back my problem?

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same type of issue. Except my wifi connects and works for a while, then it just stops data traffic. Usually resetting the phone resets it. It happens over several wireless network routers. I am thinking about resetting the phone back to factory this weekend because I know that is the first thing VZW will say. I am running a stock Droid X with Launcher Pro.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Along the same lines my issue is my Wifi has never let me send emails, they will sit in the "outbox". When I turn wifi off they get sent. It bothers me that I have not been able to find a solution, so I just live with it.

Tri_homie

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Along the same lines my issue is my Wifi has never let me send emails, they will sit in the "outbox". When I turn wifi off they get sent. It bothers me that I have not been able to find a solution, so I just live with it.

I have the same issue, it will receive emails on WIFI but i can not send on WIFI.

Philipw2

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
VZW ended up sending me to Motorola support. The Motorola technician said that Droid X WiFi is f lackey with WEPS. If the WIFI is open it can handle it just fine, but if security is enabled---even if you know the password---the Droid X will be uneven in its response.

That has been my experience: when I go to an open WIFI, I get great reception. But if there is security, I have been unable to get it to work. I get a message about getting an IP address. Even After I had a factory reset. I am extremely angry that I was sold a defective product.

Motorola says they know this is a problem and they are working on it.

I am traveling and can do nothing. When I get back I intend to request a new machine to see if I can actually get one where the WiFI is stable.

Thehomez

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
VZW ended up sending me to Motorola support. The Motorola technician said that Droid X WiFi is f lackey with WEPS. If the WIFI is open it can handle it just fine, but if security is enabled---even if you know the password---the Droid X will be uneven in its response.

That has been my experience: when I go to an open WIFI, I get great reception. But if there is security, I have been unable to get it to work. I get a message about getting an IP address. Even After I had a factory reset. I am extremely angry that I was sold a defective product.

Motorola says they know this is a problem and they are working on it.

I am traveling and can do nothing. When I get back I intend to request a new machine to see if I can actually get one where the WiFI is stable.

Thank you for finding out whats going on and reporting back. I have been having this issue with my Droid X forever now and it is very frustrating. I changed like every setting on my home router to try to fix the issue but nothing works. Its very very frustrating that motorola, a communications company, can't set up wifi on a phone. Its pretty ridiculous really. When I had my HTC Incredible my wifi worked flawlessly and without interruption. I really hope they sort this issue out and release a fix soon!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers