multiple force closes

wojotiger

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi, new user but not very new to the site and need some help. Beginning this morning my phone has had multiple force closes on virtually all applications and has become unusable. I have done numerous batt pulls and nothing helps. I have not changed any settings or downloaded anything new in the past 48 hours and I am at a loss for what to do or what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do a master reset. Also, it could be all the apps you have not working correctly. Some might not play well with others.

wojotiger

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Wont a master reset clear everything on my phone? Im trying to avoid that even though I know that worst case scenario that will happen if I have to have it replaced. But i cant figure out what has changed that would have caused this to happen all of a sudden. And forgive me if I am wrong, but doesnt all my data back up with my gmail account? If I do have to do a master reset I should be able to recover everything, correct?

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A master reset is, Menu, Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset.

Before you do that, try going into Gallery and see if you have problems viewing pictures. Common problem is a pic file that is corrupted.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Wont a master reset clear everything on my phone? Im trying to avoid that even though I know that worst case scenario that will happen if I have to have it replaced. But i cant figure out what has changed that would have caused this to happen all of a sudden. And forgive me if I am wrong, but doesnt all my data back up with my gmail account? If I do have to do a master reset I should be able to recover everything, correct?

Yes, you lose everything. No, only contacts, paid apps, and calendar are synced to the cloud.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you lose everything. No, only contacts, paid apps, and calendar are synced to the cloud.

You can try checking off the following in Menu, Settings, Privacy, Back up My Data, and Automatic Restore. I have found it to be kind of hit and miss though. Sometimes it works, and many times it doesn't.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It sucks to do a master reset but it might help. Or you can uninstall all your apps and see what happens and slowly re-install all your apps and see if that helps.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Before you do a drastic measure as the Factory Data Reset, go into Market and UN-check automatic update for EACH of your dl apps. Background updating will brick your X unexpectedly ... and often. You will still get notifications that there are updates available, but you can go into Market and update at your convenience.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't want to do a factory reset if I wasn't rooted. I would try clearing your cache first.

Power off the phone.

While holding the home button, power on the phone. Hold the home button until you see the !.

Hit the search button to bring up the menu.

Volume down to 'wipe cache partition.'

Camera button to select.

Reboot when it finishes.

I suggest that people do this about once a week, it helps to clear up the junk that builds up in the system.

Hope this helps!

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
By any chance, do you use Launcher Pro? I've had multiple crashes and force closes along with random reboots when I had the auto-rotate on Launcher Pro. I disabled that in the Behavior Settings and so far, it's been over a week with no force closes or random reboots. Before I used to get them at least once a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781