.....but what is the difference between rooted and unrooted and what are the benefits?
    02-10-2011 04:29 PM
    Here's a good explanation:

http://www.androidcentral.com/root
    highjakker and MysticMi like this.
    02-10-2011 04:50 PM
    Root is giving yourself superuser access to your phone. With rooting, you can change ROMs, install apps that need superuser permission like screen shots, free wifi tether, uninstalling bloatware, and overclocking your device. There are others but those are the most common.
    highjakker likes this.
    02-10-2011 05:12 PM
    Many people are quick to tell you how great it is to root your phone. What about how awesome it would be without added complications. Rooting is what most people consider adding extra features to the phone. Which could be a nice thing if you're the type of person that love to explore your phone capabilities.

As usual there are always "Pros and Cons" to almost everything. Sometimes the "Con outweighs the Pros", and vice versa.

The final decision solely remains on what you're looking to get out of modifying your phone. The posted link above should give you a clearer view on what rooting is.
    Note: Rooting also Void the phone warranty.

Good luck on any decision you make.
    highjakker likes this.
    02-10-2011 05:26 PM
    Rooting can also be undone before taking the device back for warranty issues.

For me, the number one reason for rooting is to have the ability to make full backups of everything on my device.
    highjakker likes this.
    02-10-2011 07:23 PM
    Rooting can also be undone before taking the device back for warranty issues.

For me, the number one reason for rooting is to have the ability to make full backups of everything on my device.
    Agree with this about the full backups.

Another point in my experience is the chance to play and tinker will all the custom roms until you find one that you like and also works well with your phone.
    highjakker likes this.
    02-10-2011 09:58 PM
    thanks for all the answers. they were very insightful and helped clear alot of questions i had and was slightly embarrassed to ask. hopefully other noobs can read this and get better informed!
    02-11-2011 06:45 AM
    I wondered this myself so thank you for all the information.
    02-11-2011 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD