Can't install apps; can't access SD card in mass storage mode

sluMDoc121

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
A few days ago I installed and used Move2SD Enabler (and followed all of the instructions). After this, I couldn't use the apps i moved and I also could not download/install any apps from the market. I thought that the problem could be fixed using one of the solutions in this thread, but I discovered I couldn't access mass storage when connecting my DX to the computer.

After downloading new drivers and trying other solutions to fix this problem, I gave up and did a factory reset. However, both of these problems still exist, and Titanium can't even restore the apps that were working before (much less the moved ones). Any suggestions?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You do not need to reset, that is how Mass Storage works, you can not access the information on card while connected to pc in mass storage mode, you can either unplug device or drop top status menu bar and select charge only.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Also, make sure your X isn't locked requiring a password. It will remain invisible to the computer unless it is unlocked before you plug it in via USB.

sluMDoc121

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have it unlocked when connecting it. Also, when I connect to my PC in mass storage mode, looking at windows explorer, I see the "Removable Disk" (that I would use to normally access the SD card on my PC) drive show up briefly and then disappear. When I disable USB debugging, the "CD Drive Motorola" is available, and I again see the removable disk pop up and disappear. Something else to note is that when I disconnect my phone from the computer is does NOT say "Preparing SD Card".

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you install that Moto desktop program to your computer ... the one that will automatically open whenever you hook up your X via USB??

If so, go to your computer and DELETE/UNINSTALL IT! It's worthless and makes life incredibly complicated. After you UNinstall it from your computer, the program will want to re-install each time you plug in your X via USB. Just click "cancel" for ANY request made by that program.

Also, if you are running Windows 7, you then will get a message that the Moto program didn't install properly and do you want Win 7 to "fix it." Hit cancel again. You should be good to go...

Major pain, that Moto program. But documented as useless.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Download this installer from Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_4.7.1_MotoConnect_1.1.31.exe which is the Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_4.7.1_MotoConnect_1.1.31 installer that has the option to uninstall MotoConnect and leave drivers installed... New version from Moto removed this option.. After installing thism go into Startmenu/Control Panel/Programs and Features

original

Follow installation process listed above and then follow instruction here.

It appears that the main issue that cause the driver loading issue is a conflicting drivers already installed at time the correct driver is loaded but the old driver wasn't being uninstall automatically, if you or any one run into this issue again the trick is to open the Motorola Driver Installer.exe that is in startmenu under Motorola folder and select the "CLEAN AND REINSTALL" option from app and select start and all old drivers will uninstall and the correct drivers will be loaded... I was able to duplicate the driver install issue twice and both times I was able to fix with these instructions..

original