Question about factory reset..

Maronda4

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Please forgive me if this has been asked, I did search, But I didn't see it posted.

My question is, will 2 resets back to back really make a big difference? I have had tons of issues since the updates. (I have reset the phone with both updates) I took it in and did a factory reset, then the problems were still there. I then had to clear my SD card. Same problems.
(phone shuts down and restarts all the time, app page vanishes, ring tones reset, etc)
So, I did the instructions I found here that was in the Bingo thread, but it has still been resetting. Very Frustrating!!

Now they say this is the cure, that a second reset will actually clear off MORE than one and that one reset does not actually clear the phone of everything.
I just now am getting my things back on my phone and this is getting so old!
I thought I would ask you guys if you know before I do yet another reset.
Thanks for any help with this!!!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Two resets will not clear any more than the first reset.

When you say you "cleared" your sd card. What does that mean? If you didn't do a Format of your sd card, then you didn't properly wipe and reformat it and most importantly, refresh the file system on the memory card. A corrupted file system on your memory card is a possible cause of all your problems.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Two resets will not clear any more than the first reset.

When you say you "cleared" your sd card. What does that mean? If you didn't do a Format of your sd card, then you didn't properly wipe and reformat it and most importantly, refresh the file system on the memory card. A corrupted file system on your memory card is a possible cause of all your problems.

He is right about the format of the SD card. I did a factory reset, cleared cache, and formatted my SD card, and all the problems that I had from the update went away.

I would go ahead and do the whole operation over again, FR and format the SD card.

Sorry you are having problems, hopefully this will help!

Maronda4

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Yes I did the format, cleared the cache, etc. All of that. Factory reset the phone. Still had the problems, so they told me to do a double reset and that is what is correcting all the problems and that it would clear more off the phone. I really didn't think they were right. Just wanted to check. Still restarts, etc. I have no idea what else to do, but let them send me another phone. Any other ideas I am missing?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you by any chance installing Launcher Pro or ATK after your factory reset? Both are known to cause the problems you describe.

Maronda4

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I checked on some of my app pages and all the auto updates are not checked. Is that the way to check all, or is there something in the setting menu?

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest maybe doing another FR (sucks, I know) and DON'T install ANY app back on your phone. Leave your phone stock for a day or two and see if it still restarts. If it does then it's probably your phone and you need a new one.

If it doesn't restart then slowly (and painfully) add back one app, wait some time to see if it restarts then add another app, wait, add, wait, etc. At least this way you can pinpoint if a certain app is causing the restarts.

It might just be easier to get a replacement phone. Good luck. :)