New X owner, some specific questions

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I know I can search for all this but was wondering if someone could just highlight some do's and dont's so I don't screw up right away.

I'm a long time BB user, I'm sorry, and decided to go droid after I washed my jacket with my BB tour in the pocket.

I will be using this phone for personal use and playing music via BT through my Motorcycle Helmet for long rides and phone calls.

I shortcutted the Tips and Tricks thread so I'll review that over time.

My biggest thing is getting my contacts over from my BB backed up using BB desktop over to the Droid.

Next would be getting a checkbook ledger and then a secure password keeper for all my various passwords (brain is short on memory, old processor).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
As far as contacts, I switched from BB Storm to DX and used VZW Backup Assistant for my contacts. It worked very well. Hopefully that is an option for you. I would also backup to your Gmail account once the contacts are imported. I haven't used the apps you were asking about but there are a few in the market, shouldn't be hard to find. Any other questions feel free to ask. Sorry about your BB, but congrats on your new DX! It's a great device.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't perform Battery Pulls, unless absolutely necessary (frozen/unresponsive screen), otherwise use the software to shutdown and reboot the device, like you would a computer.

Don't use task killer apps that "autokill", Android doesn't need them. Verizon sometimes installs this on your device when setting up your phone.

Don't obsess over every process and app that shows up under running apps on your device. They really aren't all running. Need proof? Go to Menu, Settings, About, Battery and you can see that only a few apps and processes are actually using your battery resources.

Do pat yourself on the back for coming to the forums for advice and help. :D

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Since your old bb is dead and not active, for the contacts, I would launch Desktop Manager, see if you can figure out a way to export your contacts to a csv file (maybe search google for this), then import that file into your gmail account. Everything in your gmail account will automatically sync with your X.

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. That password keeper did the trick.

I've had a problem gettting the calendar to sync because I can't find an option in any of the settings to sync with google calendar.

I also noticed that with both my bluetooth devices I can receive calls well but I can't initiate using the bluetooth. Sometimes I get lucky and it works but most of the time I get nothing. The voice prompts are also very low compared to the actuall call volume.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If you go to Contacts... Menu...More... Manage Accounts... click on the Gmail account... you will have options to sync your Calender.

or just go into manage accounts from messaging/email in the apps drawer..

Last edited:

leesrt

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I did that already, I have two apps that say google. One is google mail which is red with white @ sign. The other is just google which is black with white g. Both have nothing with calendar. The google with white g has sync mail and sync contacts but that's it.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
@leesrt, what calendar app are you using?

I had the same issue with my X when I first got it. I had to set up a stupid gmail account on the spot without knowing before hand that I needed a gmail account (android newbie), well when I decided to create a new gmail account with something that was fitting for me; I couldn’t sync the new account to the calendar.

It turns out that the app I was using (pure grid calendar) wasn’t allowing the second account to sync because the app was install before the second gmail account was created.

A work around for this is to uninstall the calendar app turn off the phone, then turn it back on (can’t remember if a reset was necessary) and then reinstall the app.

However if you are having an issue with the stock calendar, then I don’t know what you can do, sorry.