Thunderbolt worth it?

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I just switched from a EVO to the Droid X, and I am more than happy about my decision.

But then I this Thunderbolt coming out and I cant help but wonder. I am curious, but HTC phones scare me lol. Battery life is TERRIBLE. I was only getting 4 hours out of my EVO.

I dunno, I guess I was just wondering what some of your opinions where on this matter.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If your happy about your DX then stick with it. If you want front facing camera and 4G, then thunderbolt is the way to go but if those do not concern you then don't worry about it.

Hard to say if LTE uses more battery life then 3g since there are only limited numbers of LTE devices out there. But HTC Sense is known to suck up more juice.

DieselBB

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I just switched from a EVO to the Droid X, and I am more than happy about my decision.

But then I this Thunderbolt coming out and I cant help but wonder. I am curious, but HTC phones scare me lol. Battery life is TERRIBLE. I was only getting 4 hours out of my EVO.

I dunno, I guess I was just wondering what some of your opinions where on this matter.

What to you like about the Droid X over the EVO? And What do you like about the EVO over the Droid X, if anything? (Other then the Battery Issue)

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems like the Droid X's hardware is better. It doesn't feel as cheap lol. Many small things work better also. I had a lot of problems with syncing, playing videos (youtube etc), and outrageous stuff going on with my text messages.

But yeah, I'm not saying the my DX blows it out the water I'm just saying that it has the upper hand IMO

but mostly, the battery life ha ha. I got 20 hours out of my DX and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried different ROMS when using the Evo? HTC Sense does not play well with some other stuff.

A little late now to ask but did you try other picture/video/sms programs out there? Same issue?

DX is a good phone. I bought it knowing the TB was coming out and do not regret it. Yea it does have faster download speeds but I get things done throughout the day without needing the speed. I'm around wifi all the time and I rarely use it, except to play around since EVERYONE forgets their wifi settings so I have to go in there and find out their passwords and such. But other then that, rarely use wifi.

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I personally never got into the rom thing so no on that part. And yes, I tried different sms apps and my problems did not change.

I wanna root this phone tho, but I still don't quite understand it.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd stick with the X for now and see what's around when you're due for an upgrade. Even though there is much talk of coming devices, the X is (today) still at the top of the heap for phone performance. The next generation of processor chips (we'll probably see in 8 to 12 months), is going to blow away the phones that are still not in the stores yet. Basically...there's no way to keep up with the technology, unless you just want to pay full price for a new phone every 6 months. Keep the X. Even in a year, when much faster phones will exist, it will still be an awesome phone to have.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I've got my first gen Droid that I've been using for nearly 2 years now and it's been great. I can upgrade now to the X which I've been jonesin for but perhaps waiting for the Thunderbolt is a better way to go?

I would like the front facing camera and 4G option but it wouldn't be a must have necessarily.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've got my first gen Droid that I've been using for nearly 2 years now and it's been great. I can upgrade now to the X which I've been jonesin for but perhaps waiting for the Thunderbolt is a better way to go?

I would like the front facing camera and 4G option but it wouldn't be a must have necessarily.

Wait until it's out (tomorrow?) and go play with it. Might want to check the forums after it's been in use for a few days and see what the battery is looking like. Based on HTC past phones, that would be my only concern with this device. There's no way I'd own a phone that I had to charge in the middle of the day.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would also sit tight and wait for the Quadcore phones due late in the year or early 2012. I wait until my 2 years are up and then move to a newer phone. In a way I am glad that this current crop of new phones do not make me feel like my X is outdated. I am still content with my X, awesome phone!

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Wait for dual core

I agree with Kentusmc and also LTE may not be available in your area right now. I know a lot of people by me who are chomping at the bit to get the Thunderbolt but LTE is not available here yet....and we don't know when it will be.

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would also sit tight and wait for the Quadcore phones due late in the year or early 2012. I wait until my 2 years are up and then move to a newer phone. In a way I am glad that this current crop of new phones do not make me feel like my X is outdated. I am still content with my X, awesome phone!

Why quadcore? There will be 12 core out in 2015. O:)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I would stick to the Droid X if you don't have any issues with it. I love the specs if the Thunderbolt and the Bionic, but I know that I wouldn't use some if the features no matter how cool they are. The front camera seems cool but would be a waste for me. I have a webcam on my computer than I have used once just to try it out. Dual core and the like are only for heavy gamers. I play Homerun HD and Madden Football. They both play perfectly on my X. 4G isn't necessary. I use wifi 90 percent of the time. If you are like me, there is no reason to get another phone now.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There's no way I'd own a phone that I had to charge in the middle of the day.

+1!

HTC makes some nice phones but ALWAYS cheaps out on the battery. I will take my Droid X & locked bootloader over anything HTC has currently released or has coming out soon...Thunderbolt included. I have no need for a FFC & the whole marketing of the kickstand as a "feature" is seriously gay.

The Huffy I had when I was 7 had a kickstand, but that didn't make it a good bike. :D

Last edited: