PLEASE HELP Rooted DX Do I Now Have A Trojan or Virus??

bioshock

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am new to all this so I apologize.. I saw an ad in CL a guy advertising he was an "Android Expert" and could root any device.. I wanted the mobile hotspot and was nervous about doing it myself so I took it to his store and 20 bucks later my DX is rooted.. He also installed an alternate app store that offered free apps, I tried it but deleted the two games I tried and the program itself.. Since then I have read about trojans and viruses so just to be on the safe side I tried three different antivirus scanners and everything came back clean.. I have no idea what program he used to root the device, I have since read Z4root is the one to use but I don't see it installed anywhere on my device If that was the program he used?? Since I had the phone rooted I have noticed the little round sync arrows appearing a lot more than they used to in my notification bar and I have no idea what is syncing?? When I pull it down they seem to go away but reappear when I push it back up.. Am I just being paranoid now or should I be worried?? Any suggestions PLEASE

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
What is the alternate app store? If it is AppBrain, no worries. If it's something else, that may be a problem.

The Android viruses that have been discovered have been embedded with pirated apps and games.

In the future, it would probably be best to not let anyone you don't personally know and trust work on your phone.

Make sure you don't have those 3 different anti-virus installed at the same time. They can cause problems with each other.

Those round arrows are the phone syncing with your Google account. Rooting a device shouldn't cause them to appear any more often, but while he was working on your phone, who knows what else he may have done.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give a definitive answer. Most would say that you're "probably" OK. if it were my phone, and I was really worried about it, I'd do a factory reset (settings, privacy, factory data reset). That will completely wipe everything off your phone, like it was new again. All your emails and most all of your apps (absolutely all your paid apps), contacts, calendar stuff (everything you have in your gmail account) will automatically restore to your phone after you log back in to your gmail account.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There are other, more complicated, ways to root than Z4root. Everyone just likes that because it is so easy & doesn't even require a PC.

Jeez...what a racket. I should put up a Craigslist add saying that I am an "Expert" & will root any Droid, Droid 2, or Droid X, then just go on XDA, grab Z4root, install & collect $20. :cool:

I am also curious what "alternate app store" the OP was talking about. The only thing I can think of is also AppBrain, but it isn't like there are any free apps there that aren't also free in the Android Market.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you feel that the device is compromised I would just install the Official full SBF 2.3.34 from http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...59759-official-full-sbf-2-3-34-available.html and then install z4root from [APP] z4root - xda-developers and root the device again so you will know you are running a clean device.... The steps are simple enough and doing this should ease your mind...

Just resetting the device does not remove whatever changes he did for root so the SBF is the guaranteed solution.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463