New, Stock Droid X randomly reboots

strikeback03

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I got new Droid Xs earlier this week, mine has been stable but hers has randomly rebooted on her 5 or 6 times in the past few days. Not rooted, no task killer. In searching the forum I have seen suggestions for a factory reset, but that shouldn't be necessary already, should it? Are there any diagnostic files stored anywhere to try and figure this out?

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Try a factory reset. It could just be a bug. If it still reboots at random I'd take it back and exchange it for a new one.

ndreher

Feb 14, 2011
www.MusolinoMotorsports.com
My wife and I got new Droid Xs earlier this week, mine has been stable but hers has randomly rebooted on her 5 or 6 times in the past few days. Not rooted, no task killer. In searching the forum I have seen suggestions for a factory reset, but that shouldn't be necessary already, should it? Are there any diagnostic files stored anywhere to try and figure this out?

Had mine for about a week and I factory reset it because it was doing weird things. As long as you set it up to sync with your google account all your apps etc come back..

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My family has 3 X's. One of them had to factory reset because it started rebooting itself 3 to 5 times a day about 2 days after it came out of the box. The reset fixed it.

eurosteve

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I also just bought my X a little over a week ago. I had read about random reboots but I thought I would give the X a try anyway - mainly because of reassurances by many users that the reboots are not common and can be managed.

So far I've had 3 reboots. Once on connected to the usb port on my computer to transfer files, the second reboot was when I turned off the alarm, the third reboot when I fired up google maps one day.

In an effort to stabilize things, I went back to the regular launcher - from ZEAM. I also uninstalled two apps - bedside and dock simulator. No reboots in 3 days. I also had found one app that had installed itself on the SD card, so I moved it off the SD card.

I guess I'll see if the reboots come back.

ndreher

Feb 14, 2011
www.MusolinoMotorsports.com
I also just bought my X a little over a week ago. I had read about random reboots but I thought I would give the X a try anyway - mainly because of reassurances by many users that the reboots are not common and can be managed.

So far I've had 3 reboots. Once on connected to the usb port on my computer to transfer files, the second reboot was when I turned off the alarm, the third reboot when I fired up google maps one day.

In an effort to stabilize things, I went back to the regular launcher - from ZEAM. I also uninstalled two apps - bedside and dock simulator. No reboots in 3 days. I also had found one app that had installed itself on the SD card, so I moved it off the SD card.

I guess I'll see if the reboots come back.

My has rebooted about 6 times now "in two weeks" while connected to a usb.

No clue why thought my factory reset cured it but it did not.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
my DX does this all the time. My old-faithful DX I'd had since September (no screen protector EVER and never got a scratch) was replaced with a "refurb" because I couldn't take the reboots.

This refurb not only reboots randomly but the screen was scratched within a week.

So Verizon sent me a replacement battery, claiming that could be the problem. Still, freezes and reboots.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I've done many factory resets and annoyingly, this last time, my apps did not come back. I had to manually re-download them. (Ironically, I was on the market website from the phone to re-download)

I hope you guys get help from Verizon and not crappy refurbs >:O

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
i'd take it back and get an android that wasnt a motorola! i had the X and it did the same thing right out of the box, so if they are still doing that 7 months later! them motorola sucks for not getting on it!

strikeback03

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Since Friday my DX has reset twice (once when opening Maps, once when connecting USB) and my wife's has once or twice as well. If it keeps up I'll try a reset on hers I guess.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
my DX does this all the time. My old-faithful DX I'd had since September (no screen protector EVER and never got a scratch) was replaced with a "refurb" because I couldn't take the reboots.

This refurb not only reboots randomly but the screen was scratched within a week.

So Verizon sent me a replacement battery, claiming that could be the problem. Still, freezes and reboots.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. I've done many factory resets and annoyingly, this last time, my apps did not come back. I had to manually re-download them. (Ironically, I was on the market website from the phone to re-download)

I hope you guys get help from Verizon and not crappy refurbs >:O

I have learned this is one of the mistakes people have been doing, when you get a device back for issues like this that could be software related it isnt wise to have apps and settings auto restore because this way it is simply placing the apps or settings back in the replaced device that originally could have caused the issue anyway. Any this make the replaced device do the same issue.

I prefer to exclude all other options before I go through the process of send device after device for the same or similar issues

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've been having problems with my X rebooting too. As well as wifi not working. Mainly when I go to grabbin it out of the holster...its doin the dance. I really like my X but Im gettin irritated with the reboots. Id like to get myself into a different android powered beast but don't wanna pay retail price for it as I've already bought 2 Xs @ retail cost.
I realize that this is for a stock X but I have my X and my wife's X on liberty and mine isn't as stable

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Guess I have been a lucky one because I have two Droid X and I haven't had any issues, I use one for business and other for play and testing. I had one device replaced and came to realize there wasn't anything wrong with it but the tech suggested to have it replaced, so to avoid any insurance issue I allow it to be replaced but replacement hasn't gave me any issues so I can live with it.

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
This is my 2nd X. I had the same probs with both. The problems weren't rooting specific. I had the probs before rooting. Tested both scenarios and both had the same results. So why not just root and have the same probs as unrooted. Like I said... I like the device, not the BS behind it

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine reboots itself periodically too. I think it is usually a result of one or more of the apps installed on the phone. I will periodically do a full factory reset and start from scratch on my android phones. Hell, I do the same thing with my computers too. I will at least once a year wipe the hard drive, reformat and reinstall the original software. It is kind of nice starting fresh periodically.

Reactions: midwestcajun
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the tech I spoke with today said it could be one of my apps... but I've had more problems with this refurb and I've had all of the same apps. They're sending me a new one today but I'm worried since this screen has a scratch. Not only did it reboot twice in five minutes today but it is very slow when I type and laggy when I rotate the screen.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the tech I spoke with today said it could be one of my apps... but I've had more problems with this refurb and I've had all of the same apps. They're sending me a new one today but I'm worried since this screen has a scratch. Not only did it reboot twice in five minutes today but it is very slow when I type and laggy when I rotate the screen.

That's gotta be the biggest scapegoat that all of the techs use. It irritates me too. I normally tend to know more about my X than the tech on the line. But I do have to talk to one. Getting a refurb that is worse than the one you just sent back doesn't help either

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
What you all may have in common is the SD card. I know this sounds crazy, but I was having problems until I reformatted my SD card. There are files on there that can get messed up and if you don't format the SD card, then the problem just goes into the new phone.

Try reformatting the SD card after you make a copy of it on your computer. Then see if it helps. It helped me. Good luck!

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
That's gotta be the biggest scapegoat that all of the techs use. It irritates me too. I normally tend to know more about my X than the tech on the line. But I do have to talk to one. Getting a refurb that is worse than the one you just sent back doesn't help either

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

I know, I was so annoyed. I was thinking about it later.. I know it's his/her job but really, don't belittle the customer. She was still going on about it after she placed the order for my new refurb. Do you think they will mind the small scratch on the screen? :/ I still say the refurb is cheap especially since I didn't do anything *different* than I did with my old X.

What you all may have in common is the SD card. I know this sounds crazy, but I was having problems until I reformatted my SD card. There are files on there that can get messed up and if you don't format the SD card, then the problem just goes into the new phone.

Try reformatting the SD card after you make a copy of it on your computer. Then see if it helps. It helped me. Good luck!

I've actually never reformatted mine! Thank you for that advice :) I will do that.

Check out the "Note" below my sig on auto-updating apps. Not a good thing.

Thank you! I don't actually have that checked on any of mine but it does make me angry when I press "Updates Available" and Kindle or Skype tries to start updating for fun. Unless that means those ARE checked even though I don't have either of them...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane