iPhone 4 Converting to the DX

knightsseven

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
So I am finally ready to take the plunge. I can't handle the iPhone any longer. I am a techie, for a living and for fun, and I just want/need more control.:D

I am currently an AT&T customer, and have never been a Verizon customer, so I am looking at picking up the DX on Amazon for .01 ... which is amazing and seems almost too good to be true. Anyone purchase their DX on Amazon for that price?

I am totally new to Android. I have been lurking on the forums for about a month now and I am digesting information about as quickly as my brain can handle.

I am not too worried about migrating contacts, music, movies, etc. There seem to be plenty of guides out there. And the help here on the forums is crazy good .. what a great bunch of people!

I was wondering if any of you MS Exchange users would care to comment on implementation and use? I know I can find a guide, just wondering the overall experience and use. Work will be reimbursing me for the voice/data plans, so work email will be a must for me. I am assuming that I will still be able to get my personal gmail on the phone WITH the Exchange work email. I don't necessarily need a unified mailbox, so no worries there.

Wow ... getting free of Apple and working on the DX is super exciting ... once I get started and a solid feel for things ... rooting, custom ROMs, over-clocking are in my future at some point!

So, to sum up a warm hello to everyone and great to meet you!

knightsseven

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, if I may, I see some serious mixed reviews on Amazon. I am trying to determine if these are just non-technical users or if there is something perhaps wrong with the DX's that Amazon and is shipping. Any thoughts on that?

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I too, use my Droid X for work, and use Exchange. I just went and got an app called Touchdown. It may be the best $20 I ever spent on my phone. It really works great. Honestly, the lack of Exchange support is something that I think that Google is working on, but Touchdown is the best solution IMHO.

The X is a great phone, and even though there are a ton of really sexy phones coming out "soon," I do not live in a LTE area and feel no need to upgrade.

I too had reservations about the X after reading the reviews, but I rooted and am running Rubix 2.0 on it and it is a dream.

At the very least, you can get ADW EX and hide the blur on the phone.

The X is a solid, fast phone. Welcome aboard!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Droid X is a great device. I owned one for three months. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a pnysical keyboard so I got the D2G. I never had any issues with it. Coming from the iPhone there are a couple of things you need to prepare for. The battery life on the X is great in comparison to other other Android phones, but it is not as good as the iPhone 4 battery life. The homescreen scrolling isn't as smooth, but downloading a third party launcher will solve that. Just. About everything on the phone is cloud based, so you don't have to worry about connecting your phonr to your computer all the time for syncing and updates. The widgets are nice, however, I don't use them because someof them drain the battery fast. Also learn to use the voice recognition features; its one of the best features of Android. Congrats on getting the X, and welcome to Android.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Also, if I may, I see some serious mixed reviews on Amazon. I am trying to determine if these are just non-technical users or if there is something perhaps wrong with the DX's that Amazon and is shipping. Any thoughts on that?

If people want an iPhone they buy an iPhone and it's the same as everyone else's iPhone and therefore if it's the latest iPhone it's the bestest iPhone (or, if it's an iPhone 3G it doesn't exist because that would mean there's a fragmentation problem and Apple doesn't have those ;)).

If people want an Android they buy and Android and then they see that the HTC Evo 4G has WiMax and the phone they choose doesn't. Or the Samsung has a Super AMOLED screen and their phone doesn't. Or that a day after they bought their phone some other vendor released a new superphone instead of having the good sense to wait a year after the last vendor announced a superphone. There's always SOMETHING about another Android that's better than the phone you've got, and people have a hard time reconciling that a single better feature does not mean a better phone.

The X still has build quality and screen resolution going for it. While it's a fast phone, it's no longer blazingly fast compared to the competition. I happen to like the MotoBlur UI better than the invasive HTC Sense UI, but a lot feel differently. Luckily most who feel differently also like Launcher Pro or ADW so this offsets things. IMHO the X is still a top notch phone and suits my needs well, I see no reason to wish I had an available upgrade with the announced Verizon phones. It is no longer a superphone like it was when released, but it's also no longer at superphone prices (especially at third parties, but they're a little shady sometimes so be careful).

In a nutshell, you'll get much more mixed reviews on Android phones because there are a lot more Android phones to compare with. If the bad reviews are regarding bad ESNs, however, find another seller ASAP. Amazon reviewers are often idiots and rate a product poorly because they found a scammer storefront.

damule6666

Banned
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
So I am finally ready to take the plunge. I can't handle the iPhone any longer. I am a techie, for a living and for fun, and I just want/need more control.:D

I am currently an AT&T customer, and have never been a Verizon customer, so I am looking at picking up the DX on Amazon for .01 ... which is amazing and seems almost too good to be true. Anyone purchase their DX on Amazon for that price?

I am totally new to Android. I have been lurking on the forums for about a month now and I am digesting information about as quickly as my brain can handle.

I am not too worried about migrating contacts, music, movies, etc. There seem to be plenty of guides out there. And the help here on the forums is crazy good .. what a great bunch of people!

I was wondering if any of you MS Exchange users would care to comment on implementation and use? I know I can find a guide, just wondering the overall experience and use. Work will be reimbursing me for the voice/data plans, so work email will be a must for me. I am assuming that I will still be able to get my personal gmail on the phone WITH the Exchange work email. I don't necessarily need a unified mailbox, so no worries there.

Wow ... getting free of Apple and working on the DX is super exciting ... once I get started and a solid feel for things ... rooting, custom ROMs, over-clocking are in my future at some point!

So, to sum up a warm hello to everyone and great to meet you!

Just got two from Amazon for 0.02 brand new non refurbished phones

From HELL!

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
amazon has return policy's right?

if so, then why not go for it?

you'll love the droid x. it's going to take some time for you to realize how much freedom you actually have. third party launchers boost the phone experience to no end, as motoblur leaves a lot to be desired. same with third party texting apps (go sms is the best, according to most users nowadays), there are plenty of music apps to look at, and plenty of browsers to look at as well.

point is, the stock phone will only stay stock for a day, before you realize how many amazing apps are out there that will improve and customize your experience.

enjoy, man! post back on these forums for questions. helpful group here.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Corey Streater from the Podcast and the forums has said before that Touchdown is an awesome app for exchange so I would check that out for sure.

knightsseven

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you VERY much for all of the awesome replies! I am about to jump out of my skins I am so stoked right now. I will report back once I have the phone. Again, thank you ... amazing group here!

t9giese

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yikes - bad move. Droid X 2.2.1 still doesn't fully support EAS like iOS does (contacts/calendar). It works, just not as well. Hope you don't use bluetooth in your car as visual vmail doesn't work.

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Exchange is working fine on my Droid X just fine. The server uses Microsoft Active Sync. Email, contacts, calendar, all sync just fine. I did try Touchdown for a bit, I did not like the interface. Happy with the stock Android Froyo email client.

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the stock email client for Exchange - actually I haven't been able to get any 3rd party apps to sync properly. Nothing but the native client will sync all my folders and calendar. My only huge gripe with it is that it won't keep my messages stored for more than a month. I reference old emails quite a bit for university stuff, so this is a little annoying, but I still like it better. I'm using Apex 1.4.1 now, and I like the fact that I can use the Blur Corporate Sync (I know ew, Blur, but this one is nice for me) because it'll actually tell me who the email is from and the subject line in the pulldown notification bar.

Either way, good luck to you! I had an iPhone once upon a time and am infinitely happier with the X and Android. I'll admit though, I did adore WebOS. There are things I like better about both, but Android wins for me. It sure as hell blows away iOS at least! :)

knightsseven

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again for the great replies! I think whether using a 3rd party app or the native client, I just love the flexibility to do whatever works best. With my Security work, this is REALLY going to change up some things for me. Super excited!

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the stock email client for Exchange - actually I haven't been able to get any 3rd party apps to sync properly. Nothing but the native client will sync all my folders and calendar. My only huge gripe with it is that it won't keep my messages stored for more than a month. I reference old emails quite a bit for university stuff, so this is a little annoying, but I still like it better. I'm using Apex 1.4.1 now, and I like the fact that I can use the Blur Corporate Sync (I know ew, Blur, but this one is nice for me) because it'll actually tell me who the email is from and the subject line in the pulldown notification bar.

Either way, good luck to you! I had an iPhone once upon a time and am infinitely happier with the X and Android. I'll admit though, I did adore WebOS. There are things I like better about both, but Android wins for me. It sure as hell blows away iOS at least! :)

I agree.. Stock Corporate sync works better for me than the 3rd party stuff. However, I have had the need to retieve older emails more than 2 week old. LOL so, i cant gripe there.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
droid x is an awesome phone! however keep a few things in mind.... it does have a locked bootloader, so the rooting world is limited.... meaning you cant instal custom kernels... or modems for that matter. but that does make it a lot easier to play with and get used to the whole superuser access... but i see you are a real techie, if you want a phone that is truly a tech junkie phone and much more complex with far more capabilities, get a facinate... it is superior in my opinion. now out of the box unrooted i would buy a droid x, but when you take in to consideration rooting and fully customizing, the sammy is superior... read up on it... it all boils down to matter of personal opinion, just giving mine... =)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc