One of the more bizarre email conundrums.

djonathang

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,

I have an issue that has me totally mistified.

I have a Droid X (love it!). I use it with an exchange server. I am using Touchdown for that interface, as the resident calendar didn't allow me to edit appointments on the Droid x if it was created on my Outlook calendar on my PC.

My situation is as follows. Sometimes (on an irregular basis), when I send an email from my Droid X, I cannot open the reply from that email. The screen goes black, then kicks me to the inbox. This also happens on the resident email software setup for exchange. Finally, this also happens to my colleague who also has a Droid X. That is to say, when she receives and email from me, she gets the same black screen, then gets kicked back to the inbox. Note that the email is in the inbox, marked as read, but cannot be opened.

Finally, in my effort to beat this problem into submission, I setup my gmail account to poll my exchange account. When the gmail finally goes out and gets the email, I can open both the sent and the reply in gmail.

I am confused as to where the problem lies. Is it in my actual email address?

Thanks.

DG

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
You can vastly simplify your life if you ditch the Outlook and other interfaces and use only Gmail for contacts, email and calendar. Once you do that, everything works great and there's instant sync in both directions. You can make changes on your X and it will show up right away on your computer and visa versa. Outlook is an unnecessary middle step that muddies the waters.

One thing, though - you DO need to set up your X to sync in two places:

Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery > green checks by all options (Background data; Data Roaming; Data enabled.

Settings > Accounts > Gmail > green check by Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar. They hit menu and click Sync now.

If you eliminate Outlook, you should take the time to go through your contacts and make sure the names are entered correctly. When I imported my contacts from Outlook to Gmail, the process put the Outlook names in the Gmail "middle name" box, which caused problems. Took some time, but was well worth it.

While I'm at it, you should also go to My Verizon and DELETE all the contact information stored there. It links to your Gmail but doesn't sync and you end up with old data, multiple links, deleted stuff, etc. You need to clear that periodically.

djonathang

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Arelunde,

Thanks for the reply. Your idea is perfect, but I have the need for colleagues to see my availability on the exchange calendar. Can I somehow interface their needs with my ditching of Outlook?

Thanks.

DG