Droid X deadlocks/resets using GPS?

mikecico

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just had my DX replaced this week, been having issues with it resetting periodically on its own. It happened again yesterday with the new phone. This issue has been going on since last August when I bought the first phone. New phone has been rock-solid otherwise.

It seems to happen more frequently when GPS is in use. Yesterday's reset happened right after I clicked on the GPS and went into Navigator.

It hung for some length of time, and then reset. I'm assuming the Android OS detected a deadlock condition and did an automatic reset.

Has anyone experienced this before? At this point, I'm wondering if it's related to data services in a race condition with each other when on 3G only, and the system deadlocks at the driver level. Total guess though.

Thanks,
Mike

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have ran into this with some custom roms but only on first run and never on stock rom, usually after a reboot of device the issues was resolved, do you have all three options for gps activated when you activate navigation because this seem to help also.

phreddyl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I had it go into a forever looping reset and had to factory reset to get it to stop- that was months ago- seems to be ok

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Check out my "Note" below my sig in this post. May be the answer to your situation. I don't understand why all apps download with auto update checked. Not a good thing.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am suddenly experiencing reboots as well...can't say that I've really noticed a pattern. I installed a couple of apps the last couple of days which I have since removed but I still had a reset earlier.

To the OP...are you using a third party launcher? I'm using LauncherPro, which I love...but wondering if there could be something going on with it.

eurosteve

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I've had my X for about 2-1/2 weeks - just past the 14 day return period. I've had three re-boots so far. Re-boot number 2 was after a lock-up at starting up the GPS.

I un-installed 3 apps, 1-1/2 weeks ago and I've had no re-boots since then. (And I have used the GPS quite a bit with no re-boots.) I un-installed a bedside (dock) app, a dock simulator and ZEAM launcher. I also removed one program from the SD card (leaving none there). Of these, I wonder if ZEAM was the culprit.

I would like a different launcher than stock mainly to have the dock at the bottom of the screen. But I don't know if any of the launchers are really that stable. It's nice not having random re-boots. It makes me feel that the phone is stable.

KeithDX

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
been switching back and forth between ADW Launcher EX and LauncherPro for several days and like both. No problems with stability. Try em out.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Eurosteve: which "bedside" app did you have installed? I have Bedside and I've noticed when the phone reboots I have a bell with a line through it in my notification area.

UPDATED: I uninstalled Bedside and have not had a reboot since, even with heavy use and multi tasking. I'll probably try to do a clean install and set up of it again tomorrow. The version I had on the Droid X was installed from a backup. I hope the app works out because I use it every night and really like it. But I think I found my culprit. The developer's website does indicate a myriad of issues with his app and others with the update to 2.2.

Last edited:

AZDROIDX

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
My Google Maps crashes about 1 in 4 uses...most of the time doing a reboot. Thus is the life of using Moto products...

The last month or so I too was having issues with Google maps freezing and rebooting phone like stated above, around 1 in every 4 uses. Once in MN on a business trip when looking for a parts store, it was going crazy! It worked great before that, wonder if it was an update or app?

hdbulldog4

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Had my first reboot on my new DX yesterday. Seemed to happen when Google Maps auto updated. Now my Navigation does not work. Seems to be an issue with the new update. Of course Big Red will not do anything since it is a third party app.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you guys check the forums, you will see this is a problem since the X's came out and there has been no fixes. I have had now 8 replacements all with the same issues and Big Red has no clear answers as to why. I assumed it was cause the maps are Beta in nature, but this seems to be a clear issue between the GPS and Google Maps interface.....which would be a Google issue, but I have yet to track down a good answer anywhere. Removing apps sometimes works, but usually this will come back sooner to later....sorry to bring bad news. The X has been plagued with this for awhile and has now gotten to my kids D2 as well after the last maps update.

If someones hears/sees a fix, please post here, its been a year I deal with this and it sucks on trips....

Lupismaximus

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Droid X Lock and Reset problems with Google Maps/NAV and Youtube App

I am glad to see others having this problem. I am going on my forth DroidX replacement, and I experience this ALL THE TIME.

I mainly experience it when Google Nav sets up it's directions. I see it freeze, and then reset. I use Maps/NAV a ton, so I have to do a battery pull at least once a day, if not a couple. This is normal practice for me and rather annoying.

I have tried it with everything Standard, no widgets, third part Launchers, tons of apps on the phone, and standard with limited apps on the phone. It doesn't seem to make any difference. I do have auto app update on, so I will try to turn this off to see

The interesting this is I don't only experience this with maps, but I also experience the same behavior when my daughter is watching Youtube, through the App. It does it as often and in the same manner.

I personally think it is a RAM memory thing. If two memory intensive apps exhibit the same symptoms, then this seems to be the culprit from my experience.

The last thing I experience is a data throughput hang. For example, data traffic will not flow as it should at times until I do a battery pull. It then goes full blast. This doesn't happen as often, but maybe a couple of times a week.

Great phone when it works, but these chronic problems are very frustrating, and made me be more open to the possibility of a Windows 7 phone. We will see if the Samsung Galaxy II or Bionic have these same problems.

For general info, I am running:
GoLauncher (FAST, SIMPLE and STABLE when compared to Launcher Pro and ADW) I own the other two also, but I use Golauncher. It is also free
AVG (Seems more powerful than Lookout)
Beautiful Widgets (Homescreen Small Time and Temp, BT, Wifi, and GPS widget)
Business Calendar
May other apps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad