Automatic Updating Apps

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what checking "Allow Automatic Updating" does? I recently went through and checked it off for every one of my apps and so far I haven't noticed it doing a thing? I still have to go into my apps and hit update all to get updates to download. I also no longer get status bar notifications that updates are available. I do not use a task killer. I had this problem rooted and unrooted.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
By saying you "checked off" the auto updates, I'm assuming that means you un-checked the auto update box. If this is so, then you will get notice of pending updates when/after you visit Market. If you are checking out a potential app or browsing, that will trigger a notice to you if your current apps have updates. Click update all, unless there's one needing manual update (something changed, probably permissions.) Otherwise, see below my sig as to why auto updates for apps is problematical.

Last edited:

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Very strange. If you have auto update checked in Market for your apps, it should be doing it in the background ... which is what causes problems for others. Not sure why, if you WANT auto updates, its not working. Maybe someone else has an idea??

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I think if the update asks for new permissions or is a paid app you have to update manually...not positive on this but I do think I read something like this in the forums somewhere.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that if you are rooted... and have automatic updating ON... there is a risk of bricking your phone. I don't know how true that is... but I am pretty sure I read it here or another droid forum.

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I too have the same issue. Funny thing is, on my old HTC Hero, it never notified me or anything either. Even the Shift won't notify me or perform this advanced feature of auto-updates. So, two HTC phones (Hero, now Shift), and the market app has never notified me, and now on the Shift with this advanced feature, it doesn't work at all unless I go into the market and select 'update all'. This has always been my one annoying thing on these HTC Android phones.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have the automatic update feature checked for an app, it will automatically install in the background with no notice you you. You will get notifications of updates for those apps that are NOT checked for auto-update, and usually these will appear after you have been in the Market for something else. Sometimes if you are just online, a notification will appear in the Notification Panel.

ITerry913 was right in that an update that has permission changes has to be done by itself so you can approve the changes. Paid or free apps all work the same, otherwise.

DaWeav

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The notification setting and automatic update feature has never done anything on any HTC Android phone I've owned. Oh well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci