3G download speeds jump

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
My wife got the Bolt last Thursday and of course I had to do speed tests over and over again and look in aww at the speeds. I then checked my Droid X and I was getting around 2 mbps, topping out around 2.3 mbps. Well today I was messing with my X, just loaded up Liberty, so I decided to run a speed test. To my amazement I hit 6.4 mbps download on the speedtest app, did it again and hit over 5 mbps. I thought something may have been wrong with the app, so i tethered to my desktop, went to speedtest.net and ran the test. First one was 4.9, second was over 4 and a third was above 5 mbps. Any idea what is going on here? I am in metro detroit, which has 4g coverage. I understand there is no way my 3g phone can be using the 4g, but I've never seen these kind of speeds before.

opjones

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I was not on wifi, I get over 10 mbps speeds on wifi. Just ran some tests and it seem to be back to normal speeds. For some reason yesterday it was smoking fast. I'll have to see if that happens again.

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Here in Denver my 3G is 1.5M Down and 850K up. Not too bad, but not what I was used to on ATT. Heck, at least I get coverage in the mountains though.

Can't wait until a 4G phone that has all new features comes out, instead of these half breeds that are out now.