Odd Little Data Issue With Refurbished Devices

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
So I have been playing the Warranty dance with VZW, so far they are winning but I wont give up lol.

My issue is that the refurbished devices I have been receiving have, amongst other issues, all had the same data issue. The phone has good signal, shows a 3G connection but will not transmit. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does the only way to restore a working data connection it to put the phone into airplane mode, or to do a battery pull. It does it frequently through out the day and is getting rather annoying.

Other issues have included extremely fast battery discharge, or not charging at all, and all of the issues seem to present themselves within 6 hours. With my latest replacement, replacement number 6 I think, 7 is on its way, I tried a factory reset and pulling the sd card, and the problem persisted, so its not something on my sd card causing the issue.

With all that said am I the only one with this issue? If not how did you resolve the issue?

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have doing the warranty dance with VZW as well. I have had 4 replacement devices now. The data issue has been a problem with 3 of my replacements. This last one seems to be OK for the moment. Although now I think I have a bad battery - may be from all the bad devices I have been getting. I guess I'll gripe about that next so I can get a replacement battery. Thank goodness Zagg has a lifetime warranty on their screen protectors, they have replaced mine every time I had to get a replacement device.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest just reflashing the phone. You can try a wipe but not sure that would help. I reflashed mt phone with 2.2 that is available on here and it fixed several of my issues including my batt drain.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I had to replace my DroidX once about 6 weeks ago. First one was bad with simlar problems you describe. I called back, VZW apologized, gave me $60.00 off my bill, and sent me a new one. 2nd one works great! Im sorry you are having problems.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So I have been playing the Warranty dance with VZW, so far they are winning but I wont give up lol.

My issue is that the refurbished devices I have been receiving have, amongst other issues, all had the same data issue. The phone has good signal, shows a 3G connection but will not transmit. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does the only way to restore a working data connection it to put the phone into airplane mode, or to do a battery pull. It does it frequently through out the day and is getting rather annoying.

Other issues have included extremely fast battery discharge, or not charging at all, and all of the issues seem to present themselves within 6 hours. With my latest replacement, replacement number 6 I think, 7 is on its way, I tried a factory reset and pulling the sd card, and the problem persisted, so its not something on my sd card causing the issue.

With all that said am I the only one with this issue? If not how did you resolve the issue?

I have been having that same issue with the last 2 droid x's i've had. The repalcement phone doesn't seem to fix it and i just am stuck with turning airplane mode on and off. I think that it is the network in the area, but it has happened all over...

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Not that this will be an answer, but just in case...

To keep data sync going smoothly, you have to have do the following two things in your settings ...

Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery (put a check by Background Data, Data Roaming and Data Enabled.)

Settings > Accounts > Gmail > Check by Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar. Then Menu > Sync now (to get it started)

Not sure if something similar is available for other accounts, but you should check it out. I have my Gmail "fetch" and deliver my pop3 email. Also, Gmail handles my contacts and calendar. All very efficient with instantaneous sync in all three, either from the X or the PC.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Not that this will be an answer, but just in case...

To keep data sync going smoothly, you have to have do the following two things in your settings ...

Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery (put a check by Background Data, Data Roaming and Data Enabled.)

Settings > Accounts > Gmail > Check by Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar. Then Menu > Sync now (to get it started)

Not sure if something similar is available for other accounts, but you should check it out. I have my Gmail "fetch" and deliver my pop3 email. Also, Gmail handles my contacts and calendar. All very efficient with instantaneous sync in all three, either from the X or the PC.

I don't think you've had the problem. You know how there are the upload and download arrows next to the 3g sign in the status bar? Well when this problem happens the downstream arrow turns black while the upload one doesn't activate. Then no data will transfer either way while it is like that and the only way to fix it is to turn the phone on and off or turn airplane mode on and off. The problem usually happens after data is used for a little while, it can get very annoying.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The phone has good signal, shows a 3G connection but will not transmit. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does the only way to restore a working data connection it to put the phone into airplane mode, or to do a battery pull. It does it frequently through out the day and is getting rather annoying.

It does it with me too. My 3G download arrow will be the only one blinking.. my data connection go to shambles... i go into airplane mode for 5 seconds and when im done the data is back and both arrows blink again. I naturally assumed it was the towers being conjested since my other friends who have DXs and Dincs do it about the same time mine does.

Never reported it since this only happens to me like 2 times a week, if that... Im sorry... it became more prominent after the first week of feburary, then <gulp> iphone network poison debut

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest just reflashing the phone. You can try a wipe but not sure that would help. I reflashed mt phone with 2.2 that is available on here and it fixed several of my issues including my batt drain.

I have tried 2 Different Roms, and returning to stock. The problem has continued no matter what I do.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I had to replace my DroidX once about 6 weeks ago. First one was bad with simlar problems you describe. I called back, VZW apologized, gave me $60.00 off my bill, and sent me a new one. 2nd one works great! Im sorry you are having problems.

I wish they would do that for me, I just received number 8, we shall see what happens. So far they have offered me a refurb from another manufacturer and an early upgrade, at my expense. With all tis refurb trouble I don't want another one but if I have to have one I want an X, all of their other phones with the exception of the Thunderbolt is a downgrade. As for an upgrade considering how much I paid for this phone and how much trouble I've been having I don't feel that I should have to pay for a different device, especially considering I haven't even got a solid year of use out of this phone.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I received replacement number 8 and guess what it doesn't work right either, so after some very frustrating calls to customer service I decided to email some VZW executives, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

"Dear Mr. Mead,

I would like to start off by saying that I chose to become a Verizon Wireless customer last year because I wanted to be on a network that was offering the best service to their customers. It is my belief that Verizon is just that because of the fact that Verizon has exceptional coverage, is implementing “4G” like LTE network at a very fast and aggressive rate, and up until this point, in my experience, has outstanding customer service. With that said I have been having some very appalling issues with both Customer Service representatives and supervisors lying to me, and refurbished devices sent to me for warranty replacements that are defective out of the box.

I am now on my 8th Motorola Droid X and am trying to receive a working replacement for this device because this device is discharging the battery at an extremely excessive rate, the stock battery went from a full charge to completely dead in three hours. This is not the only refurbished Droid X that I have received with this issue, I believe this is the 3rd to have this same issue. In the last two months I have had to make a warranty replacement claim six times for various issues, because of this I have become increasingly frustrated.

As if that was not enough, today I was lied to a second time by a customer service representative, this time by a supervisor. The first time, a customer service representative told me that he could specify which warehouse a replacement would be shipped from but in speaking with a supervisor later I was informed that there was no such option. This leads me to believe that the representative I spoke to was not trying to solve my issue but simply get me off the phone as fast as possible. The second time, today, a supervisor informed me that there is no way that he could have a replacement phone overnight-ed to me because all shipping pick ups had already been made, but on another occasion, I made a call to have my phone replaced, after 5pm, because I was having data issues but more importantly the phone would not charge and received a replacement the following morning.

With all that said all I want is a working phone, I paid good money for this device and signed a two year contract and to this point I have not had a working phone for even a year. I have been offered a few different solutions to my issues, none of which I consider to be satisfactory. I was offered another refurbished Droid X, considering the issues I have been having and their frequency this is an unacceptable solution. I was offered a refurbished device from another manufacture, being as how the other devices that I was offered are a downgrade from my current device and the sub-par quality of the refurbished devices I have been receiving I believe this to be unacceptable as well. And finally I was offered an early upgrade to an HTC Thunderbolt, while this is a wonderful device that I would like to have, I can not at this time afford to pay for an upgrade, and more importantly do not feel that I should have to pay for it being as how I paid $200 for this phone and signed a contract and have not received a working device, and it has been less than one year. While I am weary of buying another Motorola device because of the issues I have experienced I would be happy if I could just get a non-refurbished Droid X. I am truly at wits end and hope that this will be resolved soon.

Thank you for your time,

Robert Kenworthy"

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I wish they would do that for me, I just received number 8, we shall see what happens. So far they have offered me a refurb from another manufacturer and an early upgrade, at my expense. With all tis refurb trouble I don't want another one but if I have to have one I want an X, all of their other phones with the exception of the Thunderbolt is a downgrade. As for an upgrade considering how much I paid for this phone and how much trouble I've been having I don't feel that I should have to pay for a different device, especially considering I haven't even got a solid year of use out of this phone.

I don't think it is the phones that are defective. I am pretty sure that it is teh network in the area you live. I have had this same data issue for months and have replaced my phone a couple times to try and fix it. They all did the same thing, there is no way that 3 devices could have the same exact defect. The probabilty of that is extemely low. Also about the battery issue, how much do you use the phone? I know that when i use it for over an hour straight it drops to about 70%. And it keeps dropping fast from there. Also when you get a refurb, they don't give you a new battery, so do you think it is the phone? Just throwing some ideas in the air...

lust4sun

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a certifed DX. It was rebooting on me at least 2 times an hour. I rooted and then installed 2.3.3 and the rebooting issue is gone. Now, however, i have the same issue you have. If i connect to any wifi device the connection stops until i enter AP mode. For now i leave wifi radio on just not connected to anything. This seems to work just fine now.

lust4sun

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I just changed my router to trip and g only and now data issue is gone. Now I just need extended life battery and this phone is awesome! with gingerbread of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ratmonkey

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

mine does the same thing, but only in the last couple months. I got this phone as the first person at my vz store on release day.

Horrible battery consumption by dolphin browser. (could be the build on that, but it's consuming 65+% of battery power) On non flash sites even. I've tried other browsers and the power consumption is similar. I have been trolling the same sites for months prior so it isn't the content. the data stream hangs a few times a night (3rd shift). I pretty much attributed it to the last ota and am hoping for gb to take care of me.

Perhaps I'll try another sbf instead of factory reset this time.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Having Wifi on all the time will contribute to bad battery life. The X will be searching for a signal when you are out of range. You can load a widget that is essentially an on/off button and activate the Wifi when needed. Will help in power conservation.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have had my droid x for the past 6 months since I purchased it and it's a brand new phone not a refurb. I can tell you I have experienced the exact same issue regarding the data not wanting to do anything, the download arrow or upload arrow will get stuck and nothing will happen after that, a reboot is required to get it unstuck.

With that said I've never really been bitter about it or even given it a second thought, I figured it had something to do with my data connection in the area not something to do with the phone itself. To read that some of you are on phone number 8 for this reason is shocking and ridiculous. If I was having a similar issue and I was on phone number 3, not 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 I would tell them to either upgrade me to an equivalent phone or lose my buisiness. I would have had a Thunderbolt by now lol.

To top it off I just called VZW earlier today to warranty my phone, not over data but because my camera went brain dead and refuses to work. Honestly I always thought that a refurb was actually better than new quality as they stress test the hell out of them to make sure they are 100% in working order. I hope the refurb I get in the mail doesn't have any issues.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Well this phone doesn't have the data issue, this time its the battery and the phone freezes up to the point that only a battery pull will fix. I have done 3 factory resets to make the phone somewhat usable. It seems to me that they got a very bad batch of refurbed devices.

But anyways after sending that email I received a call from a VZW rep who said that she would be working to resolve my issue she informed me that she couldn't do anything for me on Friday but would call me today. Much to my surprise she called me today and informed me that after reviewing my issues/complaint she would have a brand new DX shipped out today.

It never should have came to this point but I'm very grateful to finally have this issue resolved.

meyer

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is a question for any of you since we're talking issues. Long story short, when I press my key paid, it goes black like it's going to the keypad, then it goes back to the home screen, the 3g icon goes away and the bars then get the red circle with the line through it showing no service. Then it comes right back. I can get to my contacts and make calls, just not my keypad. This all happens in like 2-3 seconds. Anyways, Verizon can't fix it, getting a replacement.

So in the process of this, one Tech told me to "Press the top left corner of the screen, then touch the other 3 clockwise. So top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left; then a menu should pop up" But not the actual screem but the black "corner". Well I tired that a bunch of times and nothing. Not really concerned about why the keypad won't pop up but have any of you gotten that menu by doing that pressing the corner thing?