I just picked up a thunderbolt..very responsibe phone..wow.
    Read somewhere online that a single snapdragon processor is as fast as the tegra 2 dual core..is that possible?

I guess it could very wel be..because are most android apps even designed for dual cores yet?
    A rep did tell me that dual core is in large part marketing.. some people will use apps designed for dual core but not your everyday things
    03-28-2011 05:29 PM
    Duel core is faster, and when quad core comes out (probably 2012), it will be even faster than duel core.

Enjoy your TB. Outside of battery issues, it seems like a great phone.
    03-28-2011 05:53 PM
    Dual-core processors use less power. In theory, dual-core processor equipped phones without 4G will have much better battery life than single-core phones. I don't think the phone OS truly utilizes dual-core processors yet, but I think that Honeycomb does.
    03-28-2011 06:44 PM
    I just don't buy the less power claims. I dont see how using 2 cores with leaky transistors going to improve things over 1 core. Plus Android isnt even close to being fully optimized to running on 1 core, let alone 2 cores.

Look at iPad 2 - it has dual core CPU which is downclocked to 900 mhz (1ghz on iPad 1), yet the battery life improvement is 8%. Not really clear if it comes from using dual core, or downclocking the CPU by 10%.

I'll buy the claim that dual core might give alot more performance for same power consumed, but I highly skeptical that it will improve battery life over all. After all there is a reason motorola decided to go with 1930 mah battery for their tegra phone. The thing probably burnt through standard 1400-1500 mah batteries way too quick to be usable.
    03-28-2011 07:13 PM
    Speed at the bus, the better, the less tax on the power source.
    03-28-2011 07:19 PM
    Everyone seems to forget what multicore systems really shine at. Anyone remember from CPU 101? Anyone?
    For those who have forgot, its multitasking. Also don't forget multitasking doesn't really include one app in the foreground and several in the background. (Aka our Android phones) Unix/linux kernels are very efficient when it comes to background processes unlike winblows.
    So all in all, will two or more cores be faster than a single core for the purpose of a smartphone? Not really unless you are encoding video and playing the latest 3d game at the sametime, and those processes are multicore optimized.
    For real tho... how fast Can you play Angry Birds?

Dualcore is marketing hype as of right now. Will multicore phones be worth it in the future?... yea of course, just not right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    03-28-2011 07:32 PM
    I just don't buy the less power claims. I dont see how using 2 cores with leaky transistors going to improve things over 1 core. Plus Android isnt even close to being fully optimized to running on 1 core, let alone 2 cores.

Look at iPad 2 - it has dual core CPU which is downclocked to 900 mhz (1ghz on iPad 1), yet the battery life improvement is 8%. Not really clear if it comes from using dual core, or downclocking the CPU by 10%.

I'll buy the claim that dual core might give alot more performance for same power consumed, but I highly skeptical that it will improve battery life over all. After all there is a reason motorola decided to go with 1930 mah battery for their tegra phone. The thing probably burnt through standard 1400-1500 mah batteries way too quick to be usable.

The iPad 2 has a dual-core processor just to keep up with the Jonses. Apple doesn't even offer real multitasking. They just didn't want uneducated consumers seeing dual-core alternative tablets and buying them.
    03-28-2011 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD