Droid X Gingerbread Update questions

jazzbassist1

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
A little background on me and my device: About a month ago I decided to use Z4root on my Droid X, got it all situated with a backup on Clockwork ROM manager and then installed the Liberty 1.5 custom ROM on my phone. I've been very happy with my choice.

With all the news I've been reading about the new Gingerbread update for the DX about to come out (officially) and the custom Gingerblur ROMs that some are already running, I'm curious about how to get Gingerbread on my DX. I guess you could say I rooted without really knowing what I was doing.

So here are my questions: How will I get Gingerbread on my Droid X? Is it included in a custom ROM that I will have to install (I hear that team liberty is working on version 2.0) or will I need to use Clockwork to restore the stock ROM, wait for the Motorola OTA, then reflash my custom ROM (or will I lose root at that point?)?

If someone would help explain to me how I can go about getting gingerbread without losing root it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Am I missing something here, or did you forget to ask some questions? I'm answering your question with a question

Tbolt meatclaws via talkatap

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet is to flash back to your stock backup before loading the OTA. You will have to re-root after the update. It won't be long before root instructions are out following the update. You may be able to flash an updated version of the ROM that you are using depending on the developers. Prob better off going back to stock though.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
rumor has it the ota is even harDer to root. and the current GB leak is already rooted and deoxed. for stock Rom it is user fast.

jazzbassist1

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to gather the "architecture" of the mobile OS. From what I understand so far, it seems that the Android OS is entirely separate from the ROM running on top of it, but an update in the version of Android is dependent on the ROM running over top. Is that correct?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are already rooted and flashed liberty you should have no problem downloading the rootedgb.zip to SD card and install through clockwork just like you did liberty. You will have to wipe after install by entering stock recovery which is a little different with GB. Hold power button + home button until you get Android Guy and exclamation point. Then hold both volume buttons to enter stock recovery to wipe. Then reboot and you should be on rooted GB.

If you want to add custom ROMs there is a deodexed version of GB that will allow you to install ROMs which are also deodexed so that all the files are in the same spot so the ROM can make file changes to Framework and other parts of OS

I don't think there are ROMs yet based on GB for DX though I could be wrong. So the deodexed version isn't too important yet. That isnt to say you shouldn't load it knowing you will have to eventually if you ever want to load a ROM.

There is an ota for GB?

Edit: made mistake on booting into GB recovery. Hold both volume buttons down to enter recovery from exclamation point.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey