I've never had any problems connecting my computer to the droid. Now when I connect, my computer doesn't even recognize that I've plugged into the computer. Is there a setting on the phone that will allow it to be recognized by windows7? Thanks for the help!
    04-04-2011 11:42 PM
    What do you have your USB connection set to?
    04-05-2011 06:49 AM
    I have two Win7 machines, a desktop and a laptop. On the desktop it can never complete the driver installation. The laptop works perfectly. I'm stuck doing all of my phone stuff with the laptop until I can figure out what's up with the drivers.

As for the OP, have you gone to Moto's website and installed the drivers manually?
    04-05-2011 07:28 AM
    Not sure if you'll really need the included MotoHelper but here is the latest driver install.

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
    04-05-2011 07:36 AM
    I have no trouble with either of my Win7 machines (desktop and laptop) with either my DX or SF.
    04-05-2011 12:49 PM
    i had one time where my computer wouldnt recognize my x, and it just kept making the chiming sound like it tried to connect, but it wouldnt mount the device. I let it sit for literally 40 minutes and it did its thing and finally came up. I havent had a problem since. Try plugging in in and just waiting, and waiting. Do it before you take a shower (assuming you shower) or while you are doing something else. See if that helps. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.
    04-05-2011 01:52 PM
    Two things...

1 - DON'T install that Moto program to your computer. It doesn't do anything but get in the way. If you have it installed already, UN-install it and click "cancel" every time it wants to install. PITA, but the X works flawlessly as a flash drive where you have it in USB Mass Storage Mode and just drag-drop files/folders. A basic driver will be installed by the Win7 program the first time you hook up. After that, you should be good to go.

2 -- Make sure your X is not locked when you plug it in. If it is, the computer won't "see" it even if you later unlock it while still plugged in with the USB.
    04-05-2011 02:59 PM
    I had trouble with a bad cable. It basically sat there and chimed at me like what gbororats reported.
    04-05-2011 03:15 PM
    Thanks for your help! Yes, the first couple of months it connected just fine, but now it just "chirps" when I plug in. I have the usb cable that came in the box. I will check the setting for "USB Mass Storage Mode." That is.... if I can find that setting. Where would I find that? And yes - I do take showers
    04-05-2011 04:22 PM
    Thanks for your help! Yes, the first couple of months it connected just fine, but now it just "chirps" when I plug in. I have the usb cable that came in the box. I will check the setting for "USB Mass Storage Mode." That is.... if I can find that setting. Where would I find that? And yes - I do take showers
    if it is chirping, let it sit in mas storage mode and it should come up, but honestly it may take 40 minutes so be patient.
    04-05-2011 04:24 PM
    I let it sit over night!! I don't know what is going on.
    04-05-2011 04:42 PM
    When you plug in your X via USB cable, check the pull-down Notification panel. There you will find a place where you can set the option for USB Mass Storage Mode (... or whatever mode you want).
    04-05-2011 09:47 PM
    Mine was doing the same thing yours is. When i first plugged it in I got a drive failed to install then nothing. Anyway I restarted the phone and it fixed the problem hope that helps.
    04-06-2011 01:38 AM
    Arelunde - its not locked and how do I put it into USB Mass Storage Mode?
    04-06-2011 01:12 PM
    When you plug in your X via USB cable, check the pull-down Notification panel. There you will find a place where you can set the option for USB Mass Storage Mode (... or whatever mode you want).
    I guess I didn't explain this well enough. The notification bar is across the top of your main home screen. If you pull it down, it becomes the Notification Panel with various options available -- most relating to current X activities. When you plug in your X via USB cable, the options as to how the X reacts can be found on the Notification PANEL -- the pull down from the notification bar.

You would want to make sure the USB - Mass Storage Mode is checked when you plug in the X via USB. Then, the X becomes a flash drivewhere you can access the SD card directly.

Once the USB Mass Storage Mode is enabled, you can open the X as though it were a Flash Drive and access all folders and files with a click. You can then drag/drop/delete etc. just as though it were a flash drive. Great way to edit your music, pix, etc. You can add or delete anything on the SD card this way. You don't need any special program to do this. You can do it directly.
    04-06-2011 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD