smilies not coming through

evolefty

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a stupid question, but when I send a text including an android smilie it only shows the text version and when I receive a smilie the same thing happens. Is there a setting for this because I have looked and haven't come up with anything. Let me know what you guys think.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The default texting app on the Droid X with Froyo (current operating system) does not show the smilies. You are not missing anything - Moto missed the boat!
You can install an aftermarket texting app called Handcent which will then show smilies. Handcent also has a lot of things in it that you can customize, so I prefer it over the stock app anyway. Just be sure to go into the Handcent setting and have the Notifications box checked so that the notification shows up in the status bar (I think this is checked by default anyway). Very important: also go into the stock messaging app and go to setting and make sure that the Notifications box in there is UNCHECKED, otherwise you will get 2 notifications for every text!

By the way, I recently installed the Gingerbread leak and this issue has been fixed - smilies show up in the stock app as well! (about time). I like the Handcent UI better, though, so I am still using it instead of the stock app..

Th3Dude

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
this is with the stock txt messaging app?

I'd suggest Go SMS Pro over Handscent (yes even tho it says Pro, it's still free in market)
I think they have finally surpassed Handscent in overall usability & customization

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Silly question but Are you both using Android phones? My gf when she had her iPhone always yelled at me to stop sending smilies because it would only come thru as text. Course now though that she is on Android, there's no issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781