So which phone is best for my upgrade the DROID x or the samsung fascinate like honestly in terms of.browser use, camera, hardware, email function etc. I would like any advice
    04-17-2011 08:15 AM
    So which phone is best for my upgrade the DROID x or the samsung fascinate like honestly in terms of.browser use, camera, hardware, email function etc. I would like any advice
    Posting this question in the Droid X forum will give you a biased answer. Its like going to the Pepsi headquarters and asking whats better Coke or Pepsi.
    04-17-2011 08:19 AM
    Ugh.

I switched from the SF to the DX and haven't switched back but both are good phones.

DX:
    + better screen IMO, YMMV
    + OTA Froyo allows some apps to run that won't on SF currently
    - slightly bigger physical dimesions
    - clickie buttons vs. capacitive buttons on SF makes one hand use harder
    + better phone audio (LOL, who uses these as a phone?)

SF:
    + capacitive buttons make one hand use easier
    - placement of power button and volume rockers makes one hand use harder
    + slightly smaller physical size
    - oversaturated colors on screen make video unattractive vs. iPhone/Droid X
    - 2.1 won't support Flash, which may or may not bother you
    - phone audio not as good, esp outgoing (I suspect the mic is too sensitive?)
    04-17-2011 09:06 AM
    Fascinate has Bing, Droid x has Google. Go with the Droid x.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    04-17-2011 09:08 AM
    Go to like general help seriously going to a Droid x forum would give you a biased answer like the one above

I have a dinc but ill try to answer this question the Droid x has a 4.3in screen whereas the fascinate has a 4 inch screen the facsinate is still on 2.1 whereas the Droid x is already on 2.3 ( that could easily be changed If you are into hacking) people say the Droid x's screen is sad and sometimes washed out whereas the fascinates screen is beautiful because its super amoled I'm pretty sure both there battery holds up longer than the Droid incresibles so that's a plus the Droid x has Google and the fascinate has Bing now I'm not sure how bad Bing is and why people dispise but I think u can still download Google search from the market people say the Droid x is laggy and sluggish at times and the fascinate is snappy now for the camera I'm not sure but I think the droid x records in 720p HD I'm not sure about the facsinate also I heard voice quality on the x was great again not sure on the fascinate
    But really its personal preference because owners the phone are gonna tell you their fone is better

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    04-17-2011 09:30 AM
    I believe the fascinate can also use google, and even if it can't there is nothing wrong with bing.

I was waiting for the fascinate until I read reviews of other Galaxy S phones having so many GPS problems, which I think have since been fixed, however the fascinate is still waiting for Android 2.2 unless you install the leak.

Too much trouble for me, so I went with the Droid 2 the day it was released and have since moved onto the X.
    04-17-2011 09:32 AM
    I should add that of the four SFs in the house, one has a GPS that doesn't work at all and the other three are laggy. The DX I use has a GPS that locks almost instantly and works great.

The SF SAMOLED colors are way to saturated or "vivid" compared to real life colors. The "washed out" DX colors are much closer to what you'd see on a properly calibrated monitor or TV (although not perfect).
    04-17-2011 10:00 AM
    I've used the SF and for the most part have not been impressed. I initially wanted an SF but my wife wanted the DX so I followed suit and could not be happier. This phone is amazing and I think that with GB likely making its way to the DX (in its official form), it's the best choice between the two.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    04-17-2011 10:56 AM
    see Biased, i haved owned owned DX, fascinate, and now HTC TB....and for me i would easily say Fascinate was the best for me. Faster, smoother, felt better, screen looked better. GPS took me from jersey to Georgia on numerous times. Simplier to root and modify, boot loader isnt locked, and thats all despite not having the updates. The official source code for froyo was recently released so that means the over the air update should be very soon.

Its really going to come down to what you like what you feel comfortable with. Best way is go to the store play with the phones. Then decide for yourself.
    04-17-2011 11:03 AM
    I like the SF. Once I got past the fear of rooting and flashing it is terrific. My daughter is ready to upgrade and is insisting on the Droid X. Like has been said before, it is personal preference. No matter which phone you get it will be just fine. The best phone or best HDTV or best gadget does not exist. Almost all of them are just fine in your hands or in your house.
    04-17-2011 12:52 PM
    Thanks everyone im new to the android world. I am a converted blackberry user. My first smartphone was the blackberry storm which was awful. I had the tour for almost 2 yrs. I got the DROID x bc it felt sturdier in my hands. Im kind if rough on phones lol my tour went through everything imaginable but it held up and Ive heard the x is a good durable phone so we will see I have 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep the xso far I like it. I played with the facinate and it just felt so light. It looks amazing screen wise but it also looks like if I drop it that's it for. The screen. I have a 3 yr old I chase around so my phone gets tossed around alot.
    04-17-2011 01:20 PM
    You made a good choice. For a device that some say has made it's run, we sure have proved them wrong. Out of the box stock it is a powerful phone, just keep everything updated and you'll see how great it is/can be.

The form factor is what sold me coming from my old Dinc. Bigger, a bit heavier, brighter, etc. And with an extended battery, it lasts as long as I need it and want it too. Ive been up since 0600 today and woke up to a fully charged battery, here it is 1530 almost and my icon is sitting comfy at 90 w minimal use. It sounds good and with the right set of headphones, you can listen to any music from anywhere anyhow you like it. When you update to Gingerbread it gets faster and more stable. You should enjoy it and welcome to the club, were open 24-7.
    04-17-2011 02:24 PM
    Major problem with Fascinate ... it's running the Eclair 2.1 operating system. So many of the issues with 2.1 have been fixed with Froyo 2.2 and even more so with Gingerbread 2.3.

Samsung is so behind the curve with updates, it's a disservice to its customers. Froyo was out last September and is being replaced shortly with Gingerbread 2.3 on the Droid X. An update to Froyo 2.2 was also released in December, making it Froyo 2.2.1. All these updates have left the Samsung 2.1 system in the dark ages.
    GenericMessage likes this.
    04-17-2011 03:48 PM
    I have owned both, and I highly recommend the X above a fascinate.
    04-17-2011 03:50 PM
    Not biased, just different opinions.

Here's another impression about the two. I don't recall reading posts about cracked DX screens, and I recall seeing a fair number about the SF. I haven't kept any kind of tally, so that may or may not be right, but here's a suggestion for the OP.

I'd get a Zagg Invisible Shield protector. The Gorilla Glass is a lot more susceptible to cracking than you'd like to think.

see Biased, i haved owned owned DX, fascinate, and now HTC TB....and for me i would easily say Fascinate was the best for me. Faster, smoother, felt better, screen looked better. GPS took me from jersey to Georgia on numerous times. Simplier to root and modify, boot loader isnt locked, and thats all despite not having the updates. The official source code for froyo was recently released so that means the over the air update should be very soon.

Its really going to come down to what you like what you feel comfortable with. Best way is go to the store play with the phones. Then decide for yourself.
    04-17-2011 04:01 PM
    Not biased, just different opinions.
    seriously?

and if i do recall, both phones use gorilla glass, and both are made by the same company Corning.
    04-17-2011 04:22 PM
    Major problem with Fascinate ... it's running the Eclair 2.1 operating system. So many of the issues with 2.1 have been fixed with Froyo 2.2 and even more so with Gingerbread 2.3.

Samsung is so behind the curve with updates, it's a disservice to its customers. Froyo was out last September and is being replaced shortly with Gingerbread 2.3 on the Droid X. An update to Froyo 2.2 was also released in December, making it Froyo 2.2.1. All these updates have left the Samsung 2.1 system in the dark ages.
    This right here is the make or break of it all.

Hardware is awesome and all, but if it has outdated OS, its rubbish.

If they released the XOOM with 2.0 on it, it would have FAILED horribly.
    04-17-2011 04:33 PM
    This right here is the make or break of it all.

Hardware is awesome and all, but if it has outdated OS, its rubbish.

If they released the XOOM with 2.0 on it, it would have FAILED horribly.
    my phone running FS 2.1 was still smoother than my DX on 2.2

and any product running 2.0 would not do great 2.0 to 2.1 was a pretty big difference in itself

but majority of buyers dont know the differnce between OS versions. the amount of xoom owners that are in the know about OS versions is probably alot less than 1% of the owners
    04-17-2011 04:45 PM
    Owned both.. DX was VASTLY superior in almost every facet!

And of the 3 SF's that WERE in our house, NONE had a properly functioning GPS. if that other fellow has or had one that works, then he should thank the samsung gods. Because if you look around the board you will see properly working ones are indeed the anomaly..
    04-17-2011 06:25 PM
    my phone running FS 2.1 was still smoother than my DX on 2.2

and any product running 2.0 would not do great 2.0 to 2.1 was a pretty big difference in itself

but majority of buyers dont know the differnce between OS versions. the amount of xoom owners that are in the know about OS versions is probably alot less than 1% of the owners
    All in all; Opinions.

Its all opinions.
    You obviously prefer the Facinate.
    Coolio.
    I preferred the DX.

No matter, if you're happy with the device, that's what matters.
    04-17-2011 06:32 PM
    Thats been my point since the 2nd post!!!! and every fascinate i have used has been great to me. better than DX ever was , TO ME! .. .. im not saying 1 is better than the other, im speaking from my experiences. At no point did i say , you should get this or that and i mentioned that the OP should check them out for themselves.
    04-17-2011 06:38 PM
    Yes, seriously. Are you biased???

seriously?

and if i do recall, both phones use gorilla glass, and both are made by the same company Corning.
    I have replaced a Samsung Fascinate screen. It is possible that an identical screen would have different resistance to stress due to the way the screen is supported and the design and materials of the case. The SF is definitely a very lightweight build. I haven't taken apart a DX, but based on the case materials and its greater weight, it could very possibly be supporting the screen better.
    04-17-2011 07:48 PM
    Yes, seriously. Are you biased???
    my opinion alone is just an opinion, but if you step into the fascinate forums and the majority of opinions are shared then you are stepping into a biased situation.

i work for a company that develops the molecules and structures that make up OLED screens and the way they are built is very different, but that shouldnt effect the gorilla glass. Although i could see the fascinate being lighter causes people to be not as careful when holding them and dropping them more ofte.... for instance my TB is very heavy like a brick and i tend to be more aware of how its held in fear that i will drop it.
    GenericMessage likes this.
    04-17-2011 07:50 PM
    my opinion alone is just an opinion, but if you step into the fascinate forums and the majority of opinions are shared then you are stepping into a biased situation.

i work for a company that develops the molecules and structures that make up OLED screens and the way they are built is very different, but that shouldnt effect the gorilla glass. Although i could see the fascinate being lighter causes people to be not as careful when holding them and dropping them more ofte.... for instance my TB is very heavy like a brick and i tend to be more aware of how its held in fear that i will drop it.
    Agreed, it is IMPOSSIBLE to NOT be aware of this devices presence in your hand or otherwise. And that is one of the many things i do like about the DX
    04-18-2011 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD