New Droid X User

CassidyXO

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone :) I just bought my Droid X online and it should be here tomorrow :) I am reading through some of these threads because I have never had a Droid, only Blackberry so I am kinda confused on everything so far with the apps, widgets, etc...

What is the MUST HAVE apps, widgets, whatever for a Droid X user? Also, is there any place that has tutorials on using the Droid X so I am not so lost.. Haha

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the club. It's tough to tell someone what the must have app or widget is due to preference but one app I can say to get without thinking is Lookout Mobile Security. Keeps your phone safe, backs up your data.
Appbrain is a popular spot to find the hottest apps and widgets, although I would always suggest Beautiful Widgets. Very popular and nice addition to your home screen. Also, check out some custom Launchers. They can really help you customize the appearance of your device. Oh and if you do go that way, get HomeSwitcher. It will easily let you go back to what launcher you had before if you dont like what you did(until you learn more about it and fix it up and switch back). Some ppl get nervous thinking they cant go back to what they had or must wipe data and start anew. From there, it is all in how you want your device to look and act so shop in that direction and you should be good to go. If you think of something you want to see hear, or your device to do, search for it in the Market.
And dont worry about your battery life at first, it's just "new toy syndrome". Enjoy.

dwt10

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't listen to the people in the Verizon Store's, you dont need to use Advanced Task Killer unless your trying to run everything in your app drawer. You dont even need it at all. You have a SMARTphone. It knows when it needs to close some processes.

CassidyXO

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies :) I am a sucker for customizing so I am looking at the screen threads to see what people are using to switch it up. I was already told that Task Killer was a waste.

I am a social network junkie so besides the regular Twitter and Facebook apps worth it? Also, from looking around... are the other SMS apps better than the original one?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have GoSMS currently. It can read font packs you didn't even know you had on your phone. I have had Handcent. Both good for customizing, maybe Handcent a bit more.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Handcent SMS is a nice replacement app for the standard as its.very customizable. Make sure you download the Twitter and Facebook apps from the market and not the blur nonsense app Motorola loads on. I also suggest Evernote and Dropbox as great waysto synch files between your phone and desktop.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
A good replacement SMS app should not cause any problems. I use Handcent as well and love it. Others use Chomp as well. I'll have to echo what eric said. Don't use the pre-installed moto junk. Hit the Market for your Facebook and Twitter apps.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use TweetDeck for Twitter, and while it also supports Facebook I tend to use the official fb app or m.facebook.com for that. Mostly because I don't give a damn about seeing the fb news feed on my phone.

TweetDeck is nice because it has a chrome "app" and a desktop program with a similar feature set. I'm a big fan of cross-platform consistency.

+1 for Beautiful Widgets. For a great, simple game, get Alchemy. For browsing forums on your phone, Tapatalk is great. You need the paid version in order to post, though. I think it's worth the ~$3 I paid for it.

Welcome to a great phone, btw =)

Sent via Tapatalk

xltbob

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from a BB Storm to the X on Monday. One thing the BB had was sound profiles for ringer and alert functions. Android doesn't do that very well, but with the help of the forums I found an app in the market called Profiles which allows you to setup those styles of custom ring profiles. The app is $1.99, but for me it was worth it.

Have fun with your new X.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you use a third party SMS, make sure to disable the notifications from the stock messaging app, unless you like double notifications. I am using Handcent and like it quite a bit.