App Killer a substitute for Bloat Freezer?

newskate9

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so BB convert about 2 months ago. Droid X, rooted, new GB - love it. Use bloatfreezer for speed, battery life improvements (I think!). BUT the programs are still there so no space savings. The phone guy put app killer on my device when I bought it, but I learned better to not have it on, so it's gone.

I'm likely to pick up Droid X2 when it comes out.

It will NOT be rooted, and will likely have bloatware galore on it. Not sure when it will get rooted and when it does, I'm in.

IN THE MEANTIME - what are your thoughts on using app killer, and killing ONLY those apps that I currently have frozen? So when they do pop up, on some freq. they get zapped. All others of course, would remain running.

Does this seem like a decent pre-root short term strategy? Or am I missing how all this stuff works, etc.

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
What's up man, I came over from BB about 8 months ago. I have GB rooted on my DX too and when I freeze apps with Bloat Freezer, they don't even show up in my app drawer let alone as a running service. I just use Bloat Freezer and Advanced Task Killer in tandem and it seems to work well. I also use DROID Overclock and am currently underclocking my device to 800Mhz for battery savings and it works great. It's also pretty badass when I overclock the profiles too, I was getting 2205 in Quadrant.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. As far as space goes you've got gobs of storage for apps, if you can manage to fill that up I'd be impressed.

Task killers also don't tend to help much, if it's an app that will start up on its own a task killer will kill it, the system will free up the memory, garbage collection will run, and then the system will load up the app again - eating up battery life for temporary memory gains. Trust in the phone's memory management, it's smarter than task killers are.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. As far as space goes you've got gobs of storage for apps, if you can manage to fill that up I'd be impressed.

Task killers also don't tend to help much, if it's an app that will start up on its own a task killer will kill it, the system will free up the memory, garbage collection will run, and then the system will load up the app again - eating up battery life for temporary memory gains. Trust in the phone's memory management, it's smarter than task killers are.

EXACTLY!

There is no need to delete bloatware because we have 8GB of storage ONLY for apps & you will just have to go back anyway & reinstall them all to get OTA updates, which in my opinion is more hassle than just leaving it on there to begin with.

As far as freezing them from starting, we have 512MB of RAM. It may be just me, but I don't really care if Skype (which I never use) starts on boot & uses 2MB of my memory because I never use half of it anyway (even when multitasking). And like jdbower said, running the bloat freezer only uses up battery to keep those apps down and what is the point since you don't see a real performance gain from freezing them anyway.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
EXACTLY!

There is no need to delete bloatware because we have 8GB of storage ONLY for apps & you will just have to go back anyway & reinstall them all to get OTA updates, which in my opinion is more hassle than just leaving it on there to begin with.

As far as freezing them from starting, we have 512MB of RAM. It may be just me, but I don't really care if Skype (which I never use) starts on boot & uses 2MB of my memory because I never use half of it anyway (even when multitasking). And like jdbower said, running the bloat freezer only uses up battery to keep those apps down and what is the point since you don't see a real performance gain from freezing them anyway.

Woah Guys, slow down spreading the wrong info. Bloat Freezer is my app. Bloat freezer is NOT a task killer, and has nothing to do with one. Bloat freezer uses NO BATTERY except for the 30 secs you run it to freeze stuff the first time. After freezing apps, your phone thinks they are completely gone, using no battery because it doesnt even try to start them, it thinks they are uninstalled.

Bloat freezer will significantly speed up the start up time of your phone, will lead to more free RAM, less CPU usage, and better battery life. On Sprint there is an app called Sprint Football Live that regularly uses data to download scores and stats from the web, even if you have never even opened the app, using your phones data, CPU, and memory. Bloat Freezer was made just for ****ty apps like this that our carriers force on us and I am sure Verizon has their fair share as well.

Oh and Jefe, FYI 512 MB of RAM on a modern android phone is actually not very much and Skype alone uses MUCH MORE than 2MB.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Woah Guys, slow down spreading the wrong info. Bloat Freezer is my app. Bloat freezer is NOT a task killer, and has nothing to do with one. Bloat freezer uses NO BATTERY except for the 30 secs you run it to freeze stuff the first time. After freezing apps, your phone thinks they are completely gone, using no battery because it doesnt even try to start them, it thinks they are uninstalled.

Bloat freezer will significantly speed up the start up time of your phone, will lead to more free RAM, less CPU usage, and better battery life. On Sprint there is an app called Sprint Football Live that regularly uses data to download scores and stats from the web, even if you have never even opened the app, using your phones data, CPU, and memory. Bloat Freezer was made just for ****ty apps like this that our carriers force on us and I am sure Verizon has their fair share as well.

Oh and Jefe, FYI 512 MB of RAM on a modern android phone is actually not very much and Skype alone uses MUCH MORE than 2MB.

No disrespect, but I just don't think it is really necessary to freeze bloat, that is just my opinion.

As far as 512MB not being much RAM, I have never ran into issues of not having enough memory even when multitasking & since there are less than a handful of Android phones that even offer more than that...I would say that 512MB is still the norm for a high-end device.

Please explain how you figure that Skype uses "MUCH MORE" than just 2MB...when I go to
Settings > Applications > Running Services....I see that Skype is using 2.3MB so I don't understand where you are getting your numbers from.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No disrespect, but I just don't think it is really necessary to freeze bloat, that is just my opinion.

None taken, and I understand everyone has an opinion, but hundreds of thousands of users have downloaded Bloat Freezer or Titanium Backup Pro to freeze bloat and are reaping in the benefits, hundreds of thousands more delete/uninstall bloat to get the same benefits, not knowing the consequences when it comes to OTA updates.

As far as 512MB not being much RAM, I have never ran into issues of not having enough memory even when multitasking & since there are less than a handful of Android phones that even offer more than that...I would say that 512MB is still the norm for a high-end device.
My EVO also has 512 MB of RAM and I have seen on multiple occasions a notification saying that system RAM is low, normally when playing high end games or streaming Movies/TV shows with PlugPlayer from my home server, but not everyone does these activities I suppose and the Droid X may not have this notification. Android will also kill apps when you are running out of RAM, causing apps that you may want always running to be killed. My weekly Titanium Backup run has had its service killed multiple times just for this reason and I did not notice and my phone did not back itself up.

Please explain how you figure that Skype uses "MUCH MORE" than just 2MB...when I go to
Settings > Applications > Running Services....I see that Skype is using 2.3MB so I don't understand where you are getting your numbers from.
Just defrosted skype and rebooted to see RAM usage and I am seeing 18.7MB on boot. Download an app like System Panel Lite to see the real RAM usage for each app running. With 17 Verizon Bloat Apps installed on the new Droid Charge, this is a growing problem. Even if they only used 10MB each, there goes 170MB of RAM that your phone is using for no reason, not to mention the CPU, Battery, and possible data transfer these apps are using. That may not bother you, but it bothers many, which is why Bloat Freezer, Titanium Backup, and other app managers have these features.

Not everyone needs something like Bloat Freezer, you seem like you do not, but a ton of people do. Droid X users are actually the number 1 customers of Bloat Freezer and many use it to freeze all aspects of MotoBlur because they don't like it and it slows down their phones.

My original reply to you guys was really just to clear up how Bloat Freezer worked and to show that it is definitely NOT a task killer which it was being compared to and task killers do more harm than good on modern version of Android. :)