Will any DX owners upgrade to the DX2?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the DX and moved up for the ThunderBolt (gone now) and while I contemplate the Droid Charge vs the Droid X2 I was wondering if any current DX users and especially Devs will be moving to the DX2?

I want the Tegra2 Dual Core, 1GB RAM, Internal Storage and qHD 540*960 display, but I also want Super AMOLED+ on the Charge, but it has lower RAM, Internal storage and a single core (fascinate) hummingbird processor.

I figure the DX ROM's and Kernels (hopefully?) would work, but I'm not a developer so I don't know if the processor change causes issues or not.

I would like to hear if any DX users will upgrade to a DX2.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the DX and moved up for the ThunderBolt (gone now) and while I contemplate the Droid Charge vs the Droid X2 I was wondering if any current DX users and especially Devs will be moving to the DX2?

I want the Tegra2 Dual Core, 1GB RAM, Internal Storage and qHD 540*960 display, but I also want Super AMOLED+ on the Charge, but it has lower RAM, Internal storage and a single core (fascinate) hummingbird processor.

I figure the DX ROM's and Kernels (hopefully?) would work, but I'm not a developer so I don't know if the processor change causes issues or not.

I would like to hear if any DX users will upgrade to a DX2.

Droid X2 does not seem like a change from a Droid X, also I am not sure about the specs on the Charge, the Charge is listed as screen size as 480?800 WVGA and the processor on Samsung reported only 1GHz Hummingbird processor and does not report a dual core.

Droid Charge by Samsung

I am still considering the TB because other than the battery the device is nice, and of course Verizon 4G bug, now that's not the phones issue. The photos are way better than a number of devices i have seen. I am hoping they get the nugs resolved before my renew date.

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The ROMs for the DX will not likely work with the DX2. It's gonna be a whole different hardware package. I will not be getting a DX2. There are no kernels for the DX because of the bootloader lock, and I'd be willing to bet the DX2 will be locked down too. Motorola's rep offered some input for Android users that want to mod their phone, see my sig. I've taken it to heart.

I'm waiting for a dual-core HTC with LTE or I may jump ship for the Sensation and head to T-Mo.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure yet which model phone will replace my dx except Im sure it wont be a motorola brand phone.
I can upgrade dx at anytime now just dont wana jump to soon :)

sent using TaPaTaLk

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have just over a year left on my contract for my DX. I'll be hanging on to it until then. I'm happy with it and it still does everything I need it to do. No sense paying full cost for another device when I don't need it. By this time next year the DX3 or TB2 should be ready to drop and I'll likely jump on one of those.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have just over a year left on my contract for my DX. I'll be hanging on to it until then. I'm happy with it and it still does everything I need it to do. No sense paying full cost for another device when I don't need it. By this time next year the DX3 or TB2 should be ready to drop and I'll likely jump on one of those.

This is EXACTLY how I feel! I have no need to be on the bleeding edge of technology. I will get the latest & greatest when my upgrades are available & am perfectly content with my devices until that time comes.

I actually laugh when I see people's signatures or read their posts about how they have had the D1 -> DInc -> D2 -> DX -> Fascinate -> TBolt -> & are now impatiently waiting on the Charge/DX2/Bionic/Targa, or whatever other rumor comes around. I like to save my $ too much, I guess, but that may just be me.

Reactions: scottabutler

russelb

Sep 30, 2010
www.russlawaz.com
I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May 2012 and I think that timing is perfect. LTE will be everywhere and on all devices as will dual core processors. I also feel that they will have had a chance to tame the battery usage with LTE as well. Maybe I will upgrade to the DX3.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm strongly considering it. I want some dualcore action, and I also suspect that the DX2 will work with laptop docks in the near future. If it has a FFC for video chat I'm probably all in, although this would for sure be my last non-developer phone. I'm hopeful that Verizon might run a bit of a promotion for early upgrades later in the summer (especially if they want me to stay a customer until they actually bother to release an ASOP phone).

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that is going to pull me away from my DX is something LTE, just nothing out that would really make me want to jump at this point.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
See I'm just not that interested in 4G right now, I'm more concerned with the phone experience and what it can run (and especially battery life). If the Targa (sorry, "Bionic") has good enough battery life I might be interested, but otherwise what I want is to run all software coming for the next year+ really well; 3g already meets most of my needs in terms of streaming (and I'm on wifi most of the time anyway).

But I would really like the extra battery life and horsepower of a dualcore phone. I'd also like a higher resolution screen, and a FFC for video chat. If the DX2 can offer that I'd be more interested in it then any of the LTE phones out right now.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing I could do on the X2 as far as I know that I cannot currently do on my OGX so I will not be switching. I dont care how cool the commercials get,lol.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The DX has been EOLed and this is its replacement. I love the form factor of this phone and would only get it if I had to get a new one, or if I knew someone that wanted an X and was in the market for a new phone. The reality is I would be buying a used original X instead because I like the custom ROMs.
Like others have said, contracts will be up next year and 4G will be much more mature, battery life will be much better than the current crop of 4G devices.
Unless Moto changes their locked bootloader policy I will not be considering a Moto next year when I'm up for renewal.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing I could do on the X2 as far as I know that I cannot currently do on my OGX so I will not be switching. I dont care how cool the commercials get,lol.

You'll know pretty soon. Upcoming gaming (including the Playstation stuff), higher rez video (with proper HDMI support), probably laptop docks ala the Atrix (and all other dual core Moto phones), Flash sites that are actually usable, etc. Dual core phones crush the computing power of the phones from last year, and plenty of software is coming down the pipeline to take advantage of it as dual core phones hit critical mass in terms of adoption in the second half of this year. And if it had a FFC then you'll get video chat to boot (it may not have one, but there's been rumors since the death of the original Bionic).

Even with current apps trying to play music while using maps, or Google Earth, is not really a smooth experience.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm staying with the X for now, but believe me, I would jump ship in a heartbeat if there were SOMETHING spectacular waiting.

Comparing specs on recent releases in Android smartphones, there aren't any IMO that stand significantly ahead of the X's capabilities ... other than if they had 4G/LTE, dual core and front-facing camera. The screen is still the biggest, the stock battery is the biggest, the capabilities are all there other than the three I just mentioned. Updates have vastly increased the battery life. Plus, LTE isn't expected here until the end of the year - and I'll believe that when it happens, given how non-metro this area is.

Meanwhile. the GB update is making the X a "new" phone in many ways ... and not many other Androids are even running 2.2.1! If I get the urge for a newer Android at this point, I'll buy a new case for my "old" X. There's much to be gained by waiting for Androids to evolve a bit more, not to mention the financial savings. These guys ain't cheap!

Reactions: scottabutler

boweveljoe

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
With my phone rooted and rommed it's stats are well above a lot of what the newer phones are touting with their stats.

Of course after you rom them they will blow mine out of the water..but thats beside the point! :p

I think this phone will be relevant for at LEAST another year. But by then dual core will be the standard and everything will have some kind of 4G chip inside.

Then once you have the DX4 it will be quad core AND 4G! So it will be the DX444. Its like the number of Satan only its all good things!

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I do wish the original X had a front-facing camera, or at least an aftermarket attachment. Otherwise, I'm very, very happy with my X.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For those Verizon customers anxiously awaiting LTE phone upgrades, be aware that Verizons MINIMUM data plan will be 50.00/mo. Is it really worth the extra 21.00?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie