Should I do a factory reset before going to Gingerbread?

ridindrity

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
With the release of the official DroidX gingerbread version on the very near horizon I am wondering if it would be best to do a factory reset just before upgrading?

I am not rooted or running any custom ROMs or anything and am going to wait for the official OTA of Gingerbread (whenever that may be...). I know I did a reset just before upgrading to Froyo because I heard of some problems that users were experiencing & wanted a fresh install of it.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, any insight or advice on this would be helpful.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion, and probably my course of action, will be to wait on the update a bit and see what other users are reporting.

A factory reset couldn't hurt at all. In fact it's probably a good idea, but it may not be necessary. Re-downloading all your apps and re-entering all your settings can be quite a chore.

Reactions: ridindrity

ridindrity

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah thats a good idea, I will pry wait a lil bit before updating to see what everyone is saying about it.

Re-downloading all your apps and re-entering all your settings can be quite a chore.

One question about doing a factory reset though... I have 'back up my data' & 'automatic restore' both checked in my privacy settings. Shouldn't all my apps & settings be restored when I enter my Google account information after a reset though?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah thats a good idea, I will pry wait a lil bit before updating to see what everyone is saying about it.

One question about doing a factory reset though... I have 'back up my data' & 'automatic restore' both checked in my privacy settings. Shouldn't all my apps & settings be restored when I enter my Google account information after a reset though?

All your Google settings will be saved and some other data. Most of your Apps should download, but most reports I've seen is that some, if only a few are missed. All your settings within the apps will be lost.

You can root and use Titanium BackUp to back up your apps and all the data associated with those apps. That's what many of us, myself included, do. The trick is, sometimes restoring those apps and data causes problems when making a big jump, like from Eclair 2.1 to Froyo 2.2, or from Froyo to Gingerbread.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I created groups in Titanium Backup that makes restore flawless and quick....

attachment.php