Tether tracking

jsharp

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have read many of you say that the gingerbread update will enable verizon to track the use of unauthorized tethering. What I'm confused on is whether they will be able to track the use of programs like PDA net and Easy tether, or is it just the wireless tethering?

mradlauer

Sep 2, 2010
www.clearcutaudio.com
To me, data is data...The only way I can see them tracking "tethering" usage at all is app based, meaning the wifi hotspot app would have to be active for them to even know...I think their way is to embed wifi hotspot into the OS to force the issue...I'm sure someone will figure out how to defeat it, just like everything else....I'll stick to FROYO till then.

Whats funny is that I was on a leaked GB and tethering worked, then one day it stopped and re-directed me to the vzw site...So I'm back on a rooted froyo and have no problems tethering...For me this isnt something I use often, maybe when I'm traveling and dont have free wifi or if I'm someplace and need to use my wifi xoom for something...I def dont take advantage like some people do.

Reactions: SscoootzZ

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Verizon can certainly track whether your tethering from the network regardless of what software you use. There are plenty of threads here where I and others describe a fraction of the ways they can possibly do so - everything from the content you download (Androids don't download stuff from windowsupdate.microsoft.com nor do they play Silverlight content), your computer telling the world what it's running (Browser user agent strings can be changed easily, Flash equivalents not so much), which DNS servers you're using, or down to TCP fingerprinting that successfully faking will earn you a PhD in some colleges.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
They had tethering locked down pretty good on the Palm Centro back in 07. When they pulled the trigger all it did was redirect your web traffic to VZW tethering signup page. (was only $10 back then)
I fully expect the same thing to happen with all of their smartphones very soon. Not sure why they haven't done it yet, perhaps unofficially they want to have a competitive advantage while locking users into new contracts. I have no doubt that everything is in place on their end to put an immediate stop to it when they see fit. I hope it is as harmless as it was with my Centro and redirects to a signup page rather than penalties showing up unexpectedly.