How do I update a rooted DX....

timgamble

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a Droid X that was already rooted. What do I need to do to update it? I want to keep it rooted because I use the wireless tether from time to time.

System Version 2.3.13MB810.Verizon.en.US
Android Version 2.2

This is my first droid after tinkering with blackberrys for several years. So far I really like the phone and look forward to learning more about it.

thanks in advance...

kyotowired

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my first Droid as well. And I love my X, but I saw a few ppl saying that we shouldn't be rooted when we get the OTA update. I'm really not excited about setting everything back and starting from scratch. I'm very curious for verification on this though. I hope someone more knowledgeable posts soon!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You will have to unroot and be on stock 2.3.340 Froyo version to receive the update when it does finally get pushed. So if you have any stock apps uninstalled or frozen they need to be restored before update will allow the installation. And all custom roms will require a sbf to restore to stock state.

One more thing to concidered, Verizon and other carriers are monitoring unauthorized use of data for tethering so you may want to use caution with using the tethering app if you are not paying the 20.00 extra a month.... Just a heads up..

Last edited:

kyotowired

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm just speculating, but don't you have to have your phone rooted to install CM? If that is the case, and we have to unroot to get the OTA update then I would assume that we can't have CM. Is that accurate?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Correct you need to be rooted to use Clockwork but I am sure if GingerBreak cant root official build the programmers will have it rooted in no time. If you are concerned about restoring after update I would hold off until it gets rooted.or get MyBackup to backup and restore even unrooted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463