Hulu working on the (Rooted) DX!

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hulu Working on the X!

A couple disclaimers:

I am running Froyo and Liberty 2.01 so if anyone confirms this works with other roms and/or leaked Gingerbread, please share.

Steps 1 & 2 may not be truly necessary but I would rather start with a clean install of each program

Root Explorer just makes it a lot easier to complete Steps 6-11 but is not required.

Pressing the Settings button within Hulu is a little tricky but I selected 288p and made it my default preference since it seems to work a little better than 360p on the DX

You may be able to use other browsers since Dolphin HD to make this work, but I recommend choosing a browser that you will use exclusively for Hulu since it cannot be optimized for Mobile and that may interfere with browsing to other sites

If you already use Dolphin HD as your default browser, you can keep using it but may have to tweek the SETTINGS everytime you launch

You can always choose Stock, Dolphin MINI HD, Firefox etc to use as your default browser.

Lastly, and most importantly, I borrowed much of this from XDA and Android Central and the purpose of my thread is to assist others who may have had trouble running Hulu on the DX after following the instructions in the following thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...am-hulu-nook-color-other-android-devices.html

and getting the following error: "Hulu requires Flash Player 10.0.32 or higher. Please download...”

1 Uninstall Adobe Flash
Go to Settings
Go to Applications
Go to Manage Applications
Find Adobe Flash and select it and Uninstall

2 Uninstall Dolphin Browser HD
Go to Settings
Go to Applications
Go to Manage Applications
Find Dolphin HD and select it and Uninstall

3. Download Adobe Flash 10.3 from the Market

4. Download the following file, unzip, and save the libflashplayer.so to your SD Card

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=601295&d=1305831277

5. Launch ROOT EXPLORER

6.. Locate libflashplayer.so and longpress until you can select COPY

7. Keep pressing Parent Folder directory until you get to the root folder
You won’t be able to press it anymore

8. Take the following path: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

9. Paste libflashplayer.so and override the existing file

10. Longpress libflashplayer.so until you can choose PERMISSIONS

11. Set Permissions to the following:

Read Write Execute
Owner x x x
Group x blank x
Others x blank x

12. Download Dolphin HD from the Market

13. Run Dolphin HD
Select ALWAYS ON for Flash Support
Keep hitting Next until you get to User Agent
Select CUSTOM
Skip adding an email address
Finish install and exit the browser

14. Relaunch Dolphin HD
Press the Settings/Options Button on the DX
Select MORE
Select SETTINGS
Select CUSTOM USERAGENT
Type WIN and Select OK
Close Dolphin HD

15. Relaunch Dolphin HD and go to hulu.com

16. Start watching---works best in landscape mode

Reactions: bafish

jamo

May 22, 2011
Visit site
this only works on my droid charge until I reboot. it would seem that while the /data partition can be mounted read/write, it cannot be remounted as read only therefore saving state with the new libflashplayer.so remaining.

when I do a mount / remount, I get this:
# mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data
# mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /data
mount: Device or resource busy

uninstalling flash as the instructions don't resolve the issues either. in fact they make it more complicated. on the droid charge, there is an app in /system/app called install_flash_player.apk that will install flash every time the charge is rebooted. you can rename it and it won't be installed on boot, but then you have the problem that /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer directory won't be created therefore going back to the original problem of being able to modify the /data partition and saving state.

if anyone can let me know how / why the /data partition can't be remounted as ro, let me know and I'll be happy to post instructions for getting it to work on the droid charge.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope others can get this to work as well. I've been watching SNL clips from the season finale and have had zero issues. Anything that actually comes from hulu seems to show up on my X just fine. However, I was trying to watch an old episode of Melrose Place from CBS and it wouldn't show up.
I hope Verizon doesn't get on my case though :) I should still end up below 5 GB for the month but by using a hacked version of Netflix and hacked settings to get Hulu, my data usage has really gone up.

jamo

May 22, 2011
Visit site
found a workaround.

1. copy your "known to work for hulu libflashplayer.so" to your /sdcard
2. download an application called scriptme from the app store.
3. create a file named userscript.sh
4. add the contents to /sdcard/userscript.sh
rm /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
cp /sdcard/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/
chown system.system /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
chmod 755 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so

5. open up scriptme and run the script after every reboot and before browsing to hulu when you want to watch shows. make sure you check the "with root provilege" box.
6. profit.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I took shortcuts. I copied the libflashplayer.so to libflashplayer.so.orig. Then copied over it with the one from the zip file, then sync.
Changed Dolphin HD custom agent to WIN, and it works just fine.

Didn't uninstall anything, and I used the command line.

EDIT: I changed the user agent back to desktop and it still works.

18bmurphy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
found a workaround.

1. copy your "known to work for hulu libflashplayer.so" to your /sdcard
2. download an application called scriptme from the app store.
3. create a file named userscript.sh
4. add the contents to /sdcard/userscript.sh
rm /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
cp /sdcard/libflashplayer.so /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/
chown system.system /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so
chmod 755 /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libflashplayer.so

5. open up scriptme and run the script after every reboot and before browsing to hulu when you want to watch shows. make sure you check the "with root provilege" box.
6. profit.

What does this all mean?

18bmurphy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have tried this with no luck. By no luck I am saying I am not smart enough. I am rooted using Apex but only have Astro for file managing. Any help?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You need a file explorer that has access to system files, such as ES file explorer or root explorer. You can also use a terminal emulator and busybox to do it manually.

18bmurphy

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So can you just download the file directly to the phone or does it need to come from computer? Then I don't understand the path. I have the file on my phone and can extract it, is that the same as unzip? I can copy it but I don't get where I should paste it.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So can you just download the file directly to the phone or does it need to come from computer? Then I don't understand the path. I have the file on my phone and can extract it, is that the same as unzip? I can copy it but I don't get where I should paste it.

The path is in the original post. It does have to be extracted since it's a zip file. ES file explorer can extract it.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You're looking in the data folder on your sd card, you need the data folder in the internal storage, that's why you need a file explorer with root access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital